Staff Merry-go-round

3 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Rome wasn't built in a day. even if its just one caption. 

Very true. That said, the current brass staff took a 6th place hornline in 2017 and had them beating Devils and SCV in 2 years (3rd in brass) by 2019.  Didn’t get to truly capitalize on that momentum in 20 and 21.  2022 percussion was solid… in 5th as late as Friday night Indy. 

I don’t think it’s going to take a decade to build on those two captions. But time will certainly tell. 

Either way… going co-Ed isn’t a discussed strategy from all I’ve seen and heard in and around Rosemont. Though acknowledging I don’t work there nor speak for the organization. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

I'm an engineer.

I've got a few questions :

1. Are there Code requirements, including  OSHA that  props have to comply with ?

2. Do prop designs require plans signed and sealed by a Professional Engineer or Licensed Architect ?

3. Do the prop designers have to provide instructions for assembling, dissembling, transporting and

maintaining props.

4.Do corps have to keep any type of log concerning prop maintenance,  repairs, etc.  ?

5.Do prop designers and fabricators have to carry Liability Insurance in case a prop fails ?

Looking at some of the props used for shows like "downside up" and this years Mandarins,

there's a lot of potential liability if a kid get hurt, in a fall.

Or if a prop fails due to design or error in assembly ,disassembly or maintenance.

All very good questions.  Some of us here were sweating it out every time someone in SCV climbed onto a prop.  To later see that they were hinged on the bottom explains why they seemed so frail.

Troopers derrick seemed especially well-constructed, & the cellist had on what looked like an OSHA-compliant harness.

But - as a PE, perhaps you can answer this - What would the cost be for a PE to 'sign-off' on a prop?  Obviously, by signing off you are putting your professional reputation on the line, and have costs to cover w/r/t that reputation (time, insurance, overhead, etc).  I'm just curious.  I have a relative that lives in LA who is a PE & has the credentials to determine whether a building is safe or not after an earthquake.  And there are costs associated with maintaining these credentials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

The Cavaliers toured last year... Their show was LIVE! from the Rose.

the OP's point is it was a lame attempt of putting together a show.  Cadets, Bluecoats, Phantom, Boston were more in line with what they would have fielded in 2000 or 2002

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ediblewaffles said:

I think their staff was entirely new for this season so I don't think they're in a big turnarond position right now

while I agree with you -- Guard Caption head/designer doesn't look like shes coming back based on her fb posts.... and some trumors 

3 minutes ago, Algernon said:

the OP's point is it was a lame attempt of putting together a show.  Cadets, Bluecoats, Phantom, Boston were more in line with what they would have fielded in 2000 or 2002

What about the 2022 Champs, who put on no show much less what he refers to as a “lame attempt” at fielding a show? Seems to be a cherry picked analysis. But I did and do agree with his premise that it helped to have a show. How could it not? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

What about the 2022 Champs, who put on no show much less what he refers to as a “lame attempt” at fielding a show? Seems to be a cherry picked analysis. But I did and do agree with his premise that it helped to have a show. How could it not? 

I believe it was said, "with the exception of BD".

Like most issues in drum corps, the Blue Devils organization has the infrastructure to overcome 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I think every corps does a Texas camp nowadays and that's what's hurting Crossmen. 

Yeahhh, those are my thoughts as well. Every top corps is seeking a piece of the pie, makes it very tough for not just crossmen but every competitive Texas corps. 

35 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Very true. That said, the current brass staff took a 6th place hornline in 2017 and had them beating Devils and SCV in 2 years (3rd in brass) by 2019.  Didn’t get to truly capitalize on that momentum in 20 and 21.  2022 percussion was solid… in 5th as late as Friday night Indy. 

I don’t think it’s going to take a decade to build on those two captions. But time will certainly tell. 

Either way… going co-Ed isn’t a discussed strategy from all I’ve seen and heard in and around Rosemont. Though acknowledging I don’t work there nor speak for the organization. 

Cavies are now in a situation where the competition is deeper than ever. Blue Stars had their best finish since the 70's. Phantom coming back up. Cadets back up. Mandarins coming on.

going co-ed for Madison was never going to be the cure all some assumed. and the timing of announcing the change during a competitive free fall didn't help temper expectations either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

while I agree with you -- Guard Caption head/designer doesn't look like shes coming back based on her fb posts.... and some trumors 

There's other departures coming from there as well.

• Like 2