Staff Merry-go-round

58 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

But - as a PE, perhaps you can answer this - What would the cost be for a PE to 'sign-off' on a prop?  Obviously, by signing off you are putting your professional reputation on the line, and have costs to cover w/r/t that reputation (time, insurance, overhead, etc).  I'm just curious.  I have a relative that lives in LA who is a PE & has the credentials to determine whether a building is safe or not after an earthquake.  And there are costs associated with maintaining these credentials.

When it comes to something like a "prop", it would need to be designed by a P.E. or Licensed Architect.

He/she would need to design it according to meet all structural and "Code" requirements.

By signing and sealing the plans and calculations he/she is "signing off" on the design.

I don't know any engineers that would even attempt to review a plan that wasn't prepared, signed and sealed by either a P.E. or Licensed Architect.

The plan's preparer also has to make sure his/her design "dots all the  I's and crosses all the "t's" " so that he/she is covered under his/her Errors and Omission  Insurance.

As far as Maintaining Credentials, I have to take 36 hours of Continuing Education every two years to maintain my PE and LS licenses.

I give your relative credit.

Trying to determine if as building is structurally sound after an earthquake is something I wouldn't even attempt.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

What is the normal staff structure that manages that in any industry?  Wondering if @C.Hollandhas thoughts here.

Is OSHA still the regulating body even if MMs are technically classified as "members" or "students"?

As far as I know, OHSA's rules apply to the structure proper, not who owns or uses it.

I do design projects for schools, churches, playgrounds, etc.

They all have to comply with OSHA.

Edited by rpbobcat
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Algernon said:

the OP's point is it was a lame attempt of putting together a show.  Cadets, Bluecoats, Phantom, Boston were more in line with what they would have fielded in 2000 or 2002

Was it?

That's not up to me to decide if it was lame or not.. I mean, Phantom redid a show... some would call that lame...

They had a show and toured, which was more than a rave and a music video....

The design was better than this years,  but not as good as 19.

3 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Your question of how Madison's done since adding women smacks of someone complaining that there wasn't an immediate just into the top 6 ONLY because women have been added to the program.

That's NOT how it works..

Adding women without changing the design team and having the same degree of competitive success as there was before women were added suggests that the problem isn’t the presence or absence of women.  

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, rpbobcat said:

Complying with the  DCI rule, isn't the primary concern.

Its OSHA.

As far as I know, any open sided platform , 6'  or more above grade, requires a railing . If that isn't practical  other methods like a safety belt may be used.

If someone gets hurt, and they find that there was an OSHA violation , the corps and possibly DCI ,if they aren't enforcing not only their own rules, but OSHA too, has a very big problem.

I’m not sure OSHA is applicable here.  By definition it is for worker safety.  What is on a field, performing, the mm’s,  are not workers.  OSHA safety specifications can be incorporated into DCI guidelines but those would be guidelines, not laws.

I would need to do more research to see if the Occupational Safety and Health Agency covers non profit performing arts organizations for the non paid, non employee performers. DC org employees fall under OSHA, I’m not sure what occurs on the field does.

22 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Adding women without changing the design team and having the same degree of competitive success as there was before women were added suggests that the problem isn’t the presence or absence of women.  

Yep....and yetPopcornEater1963 seems to think that simply adding women to Madison should instantly make them jump up into Saturday night....the FIRST competitive season after adding them.  

Pure BS.

24 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Never was

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

For clarity, what am I being unrealistic about?  I’m not proposing Cavaliers do a full rebuild. Most of your examples did?

Not arguing… seeking clarity… 

You're arguing that Madison should've seen an immediate improvement solely by adding women to the corps.

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Wow okay, thanks.

Perfect. Thanks, totally trust you.

I meant who do you think would/should be in charge of managing OSHA compliance for props in drum corps? Should it be tied to HR? Member experience?

OSHA did offer courses and certifications.

I'd start there.

• Like 2