Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

Staff Merri-go-Round. Translation: Where can I go to get more money.

Sometimes, but also "new opportunities", "new challenges", etc. There's a lot that goes into deciding to accept an offer, and designers and staff members are competitive too - they'll go where they think they have the opportunity to make a mark, and I never fault them for that, since the flip side is that failing to achieve is a short path to finding oneself looking for a new gig.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

True . Even outside of Drum Corps , if you are young and/ or have a young family or whatever , if you are not looking to move up to a future position offering “ more money “, ( no matter the field of endeavor ) you probably lack ambition and/ or self confidence . 

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, arabica said:

I’m a bit baffled how the program hit the field as it did with such seasoned eyes and ears in the wings.

Drill writer left during winter camp season. Spring training began without a step of visual having yet been determined. That's a big hole, even for a corps that has a history of feeling its way through visual development early in the season. Chalk it up to admin transition, I suppose, but I expect the corps will be on much more solid ground during the upcoming offseason. Daniel Belcher is a magnetic leader, and the membership culture is among the best in DCI.

• Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

True . Even outside of Drum Corps , if you are young and/ or have a young family or whatever , if you are not looking to move up to a future position offering “ more money “, ( no matter the field of endeavor ) you probably lack ambition and/ or self confidence . 

Is this a statement of observation or a statement that supports the false narrative that more money equals more success?

Is this a statement of observation or a statement that supports the false narrative that more money equals more success?

The former , not the latter . I don’t believe that because someone is promoted into a higher or equal position that provides them a higher pay equals “ more success”. For example lots of pro athletes sign long term contracts with much higher pay , and turn out to be actually less successful at their craft than before they signed a contract offering “ more money “. We see this in many other professional career fields too, including , but not limited to , the teaching profession, particularly at the Dept Head and Education Administration level .

Edited by Boss Anova
  • Confused 1

In drum corps, motivation to switch teams is more personal than practical, I think. In my case, I left the Garfield Cadets after 7 years for the Blue Devils because I wanted to work with brilliant teachers and designers like Mel Stratton, Wayne Downey, Rick Odello, and Mike Moxley. It was an opportunity to grow.

But to this day I still get a bit of an emotional reaction when I see that maroon group in action.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

not always. sometimes the working environment isn't worth going back to. sometimes better opportunities come around. only a select few truly get the so called high paying gigs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Aaaaaaall of the visual team? What about design? Asking for a friend.......

Stephen Estudillo will stay as drill designer/visual coordinator. 

Bob Smith will also be back. 

Stephen and Bob will be in charge of hiring the next Visual&Guard caption head ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1