Staff Merry-go-round

12 minutes ago, lifeisaround said:

https://www.scvanguard.org/santa-clara-vanguard-announces-new-corps-director/

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD ANNOUNCES NEW CORPS DIRECTOR

Out: RCA (was only corps director for one year) 

In: Gio Bastante 

I wouldn't say OUT. She moved to the nonprofit.

Also Gio looks to be ensemble director for Infinity percussion. Should be good for them. 

Edited by BlueStainGlass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If DCI operates the same as WGI licensing the group gets the license and sends to them. I've always had to get the rights from tresona or others on my own. We did a One Direction song 6 years ago when they were popular and it was a simple task that we did before we started writing music. Another year we did ABC and got Michael Jackson rights.  So I'm curious how they lost rights. 

believe it or not, Tresona doesn't have rights to everything

53 minutes ago, DrummerParent said:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this info?  I knew about one but not all.  

Travis posted on Facebook yesterday. he did great things

15 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:
1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

Out of curiosity, where did you find this info?  I knew about one but not all.  

Travis posted on Facebook yesterday. he did great things

Travis and Paul both posted on facebook, I believe Paul posted right after finals 

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

If DCI operates the same as WGI licensing the group gets the license and sends to them. I've always had to get the rights from tresona or others on my own. We did a One Direction song 6 years ago when they were popular and it was a simple task that we did before we started writing music. Another year we did ABC and got Michael Jackson rights.  So I'm curious how they lost rights. 

This is the posted repertoire as of the end of May in their program announcement. I'm going to assume it was Concerto No 10 for Brass Band that was the issue.

• Fugue in G Minor BWV 578 by Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band
  • Way Too Long by Bent Knee
  • Tarkus by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
  • The Floor Is Lava by Bent Knee
  • Concerto No. 10 for Brass Band by Ludovic Neurohr
  • Queer Gods by Bent Knee
  • Being Human by Bent Knee
  • Sign of the Times by Harry Styles

I've also heard of situations where rights holder X takes forever to grant permission. Mike says in the podcast it wasn't a problem 3 months before tour or a month before tour but suddenly became an issue a week before tour. Either they took for granted it was going to be approved and waited too long to get an answer before going to plan B or the rights holder was very hands on in the process and didn't like how they were going to do it and said no. I think its pretty common knowledge among us that the Bernstein family is very picky on how his stuff gets arranged over the last 10 years. I know other composers can be very difficult too.

Tresona says to allow approximately 45 days for the Neurohr piece.

43 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

This is the posted repertoire as of the end of May in their program announcement. I'm going to assume it was Concerto No 10 for Brass Band that was the issue.

• Fugue in G Minor BWV 578 by Johann Sebastian Bach
  • Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band
  • Way Too Long by Bent Knee
  • Tarkus by Emerson, Lake, and Palmer
  • The Floor Is Lava by Bent Knee
  • Concerto No. 10 for Brass Band by Ludovic Neurohr
  • Queer Gods by Bent Knee
  • Being Human by Bent Knee
  • Sign of the Times by Harry Styles

I've also heard of situations where rights holder X takes forever to grant permission. Mike says in the podcast it wasn't a problem 3 months before tour or a month before tour but suddenly became an issue a week before tour. Either they took for granted it was going to be approved and waited too long to get an answer before going to plan B or the rights holder was very hands on in the process and didn't like how they were going to do it and said no. I think its pretty common knowledge among us that the Bernstein family is very picky on how his stuff gets arranged over the last 10 years. I know other composers can be very difficult too.

Tresona says to allow approximately 45 days for the Neurohr piece.

I believe Concerto No. 10 was a mash up with the Floor is Lava leading up/including the hit during the ballad. Starting right after the soloist section.I could be wrong but that’s how it sounded to me.

Edited by GREENBLUE

1 hour ago, lifeisaround said:

https://www.scvanguard.org/santa-clara-vanguard-announces-new-corps-director/

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD ANNOUNCES NEW CORPS DIRECTOR

Out: RCA (was only corps director for one year and shes now working for the parent company VAMPA) 

In: Gio Bastante 

The female leadership at Vanguard is very powerful right now. Love this and wish her the best!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, lifeisaround said:

Travis and Paul both posted on facebook, I believe Paul posted right after finals 

i dont know Paul, but i've known travis since he was a kid