Staff Merry-go-round

Just now, kdaddy said:

Tommy Allen, formerly of Cavaliers.

Didn’t realize the name change. Thanks.

7 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

DickSauce had some highs and lows. For example, his 2004 show was a masterpiece, and his 2003 show was not that.

2003 should have won all the marbles, and it wasn't close. Probably the best overall program of the 2000-2006 period.

He left after 2008, if I remember correctly, in part because it was rumored he also wasn't a fan of the horn staff's approach to dynamics. Hoping that there are enough makings from the strides made by the recent horn staff to give him and his team a solid foundation.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Go sample DCP in 2008, and a smattering of other years. It was definitely the case. 

Also note: someone has already used "bland" to describe his writing.

And I absolutely loved his arrangements/originals so does that make them more exciting? Point being…everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Doesn’t make one right or wrong. The Blue Devils must of thought him exciting enough. The used him as music ensemble coordinator this year. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

Fans in 2003 (and I in 2022) would overwhelmingly disagree. 

2003 should’ve won. It was a masterpiece.

• Thanks 5
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Slingerland said:

2003 should have won all the marbles, and it wasn't close. Probably the best overall program of the 2000-2006 period.

He left after 2008, if I remember correctly, in part because it was rumored he also wasn't a fan of the horn staff's approach to dynamics. Hoping that there are enough makings from the strides made by the recent horn staff to give him and his team a solid foundation.

That’s what I recall as well

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

I don’t remember that being the case. Not really sure how 5 gold medals, 2 silver and 2 bronze could be boring. I DO remember the complaint was more to the brass technique/ approach and how it wasn’t Loud or exciting.

Considering the focus is more on brass technique and approach rather than loudness, this will be good for the Cavaliers. Though I am not too sure brass was their issue to begin with. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

And I absolutely loved his arrangements/originals so does that make them more exciting? Point being…everyone has their own likes and dislikes. Doesn’t make one right or wrong. The Blue Devils must of thought him exciting enough. The used him as music ensemble coordinator this year. 

Uhhhh, not to point out the obvious, but nobody suggested you can't like or dislike something. I'm not suggesting consensus in 2008 or you in 2022 are "right or wrong." My point was that fans thought him boring bitd, and I pointed out another anecdote that happens to be more recent. 

8 minutes ago, fighterkit said:

Considering the focus is more on brass technique and approach rather than loudness, this will be good for the Cavaliers. Though I am not too sure brass was their issue to begin with. 

I do remember sitting in the stands during the championship years loving the design and music but also realizing the brass didn’t have that explosive power/volume of others in the top six. While the technique was of the best, the ooomph was not lol. 

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 1