Staff Merry-go-round

3 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m genuinely curious to see who they get. It’s going to be very difficult to break into the SCV, BD, Bloo percussion bubble. And BAC and Cadets percussion is on the way up again as well

Sounds like they are going after someone currently in WGI.  As mentioned by kdaddy, Mike Jackson (founder of and composer for Broken City, formerly SCV, Bloo, BK) seems to be the lead based on rumors.  John Mapes is the other name I’ve heard (Pulse Percussion, formerly Blue Stars, BDB).  Both highly regarded as arrangers and instructional leads with strong WGI connections which could help with recruiting.  They’ll have the connections to build a top notch staff.

4 hours ago, Cappybara said:

I’m genuinely curious to see who they get. It’s going to be very difficult to break into the SCV, BD, Bloo percussion bubble. And BAC and Cadets percussion is on the way up again as well

I would submit that BAC is already in that top percussion bubble, since they beat every other corps in percussion at various points in the season....including late season.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Sounds like they are going after someone currently in WGI.  As mentioned by kdaddy, Mike Jackson (founder of and composer for Broken City, formerly SCV, Bloo, BK) seems to be the lead based on rumors.  John Mapes is the other name I’ve heard (Pulse Percussion, formerly Blue Stars, BDB).  Both highly regarded as arrangers and instructional leads with strong WGI connections which could help with recruiting.  They’ll have the connections to build a top notch staff.

I'm not sure if anyone will really change where they finish to an extent. if you look at the top groups, they are all filled with people who've been around a while. Rennick, McNutt, Rarick, Scott Johnson, Aungst. maybe its a bit of a "good ole boys" network that makes it hard for new names to break into that group.

I have always loved Mike Jackson's writing but BK never got out of the bottom 6 while he taught there. Many of those Broken City guys go to Bluecoats because of Roger Carter. John Mapes has also dominated the PIW and PSW classes of WGI in recent year but his years running Blue Stars didn't really move the earth in DCI.

I've always felt Crown's musical design process is so horn line dominant that percussion is always an after thought that will limit the potential for success no matter who teaches percussion there.

Edited by gbass598
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, craiga said:

I would submit that BAC is already in that top percussion bubble, since they beat every other corps in percussion at various points in the season....including late season.

BAC overall is a threat to the top dogs.  If they can hold it together (and I have no doubt they will), I see a title within the next 5 years....maybe sooner.

Of course, getting to the top is one thing...STAYING there is quite another.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DrummerParent said:

FWIW, Mike's position at Bluecoats was Caption Head. The current role of Roger Carter. He never wrote or arranged at Bluecoats. The arranger was always Tom Rarick during Mike's years in Canton.

That being said, Mike's work at BK was enthralling. 

4 hours ago, 84BDsop said:

Oh god....a show made up entirely of Regiment cliches!!!

so no Wayne ending #'s 1-25?

3 hours ago, George Dixon said:

first 2023 leak > Pacific Crest 2023 presents "Into the Chevron: Stabbings, Poisoning, Enslavement & Other Fond Memories..."

with half so hidden no one can find them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Really?

i guess you only get humor directed at other corps

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

Thom Hannum retired.  But yes, the rest are not being retained.  

TH...well...not a fan of the writing. but the other kinda surprising

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrummerParent said:

last i heard the Pulse team decided they wanted to stick to indoor

• Like 2