Staff Merry-go-round

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

FWIW, Mike's position at Bluecoats was Caption Head. The current role of Roger Carter. He never wrote or arranged at Bluecoats. The arranger was always Tom Rarick during Mike's years in Canton.

That being said, Mike's work at BK was enthralling. 

i agree. not sure his design vibe fits Crowns approach, but who knows?

10 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i guess you only get humor directed at other corps

Not really. Especially cheap humor.

10 hours ago, mingusmonk said:

FWIW, Mike's position at Bluecoats was Caption Head. The current role of Roger Carter. He never wrote or arranged at Bluecoats. The arranger was always Tom Rarick during Mike's years in Canton.

That being said, Mike's work at BK was enthralling. 

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i agree. not sure his design vibe fits Crowns approach, but who knows?

I think Mike left Bluecoats to go to BK for a couple of reasons. One being he wanted to be the arranger. The other is that he is a BK alum.

Keep in mind that Mike and Kevin Shah were a huge part of the design team at BK. Maybe even the main drivers of their design process. We've seen how BK has been since they left. Would Crown give them the same carte blanche in the design process? Who knows. Maybe they are due for a change. I feel like Crown's shows are always similar regardless of who writes the percussion. If Mike and Kevin are the ones brought in, I think they also need to be given more say in the overall design process than previous percussion designers to shake things up a bit. Not sure if they are but they "could" be the missing piece of the puzzle.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I think Mike left Bluecoats to go to BK for a couple of reasons. One being he wanted to be the arranger. The other is that he is a BK alum.

Keep in mind that Mike and Kevin Shah were a huge part of the design team at BK. Maybe even the main drivers of their design process. We've seen how BK has been since they left. Would Crown give them the same carte blanche in the design process? Who knows. Maybe they are due for a change. I feel like Crown's shows are always similar regardless of who writes the percussion. If Mike and Kevin are the ones brought in, I think they also need to be given more say in the overall design process than previous percussion designers to shake things up a bit. Not sure if they are but they "could" be the missing piece of the puzzle.

Definitely will be interesting.  I would guess that the change is primarily a Subel decision / design team decision so one would hope they’d strongly consider how their creative styles mesh with whoever they hire.  I assume Klesch is returning since I haven’t heard that he isn’t.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Along those lines, people mention a potential Mapes/Grom return in this thread. Mapes was fairly vocal in his departure from Blue Stars regarding his frustrations with other caption/design team and being limited to defining his success and satisfaction within "percussion only." 

If we see them back anywhere, I would expect them to have more input in overall design than they did in LaCrosse. 

10 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Not really. Especially cheap humor.

i may be easy, but never cheap

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, mingusmonk said:

Along those lines, people mention a potential Mapes/Grom return in this thread. Mapes was fairly vocal in his departure from Blue Stars regarding his frustrations with other caption/design team and being limited to defining his success and satisfaction within "percussion only." 

If we see them back anywhere, I would expect them to have more input in overall design than they did in LaCrosse. 

The activity was also less theatrical than it is now. They wanted to approach it like they do with Pulse and POW which is now more than ever how they could run things. I don't think Grom is looking to do the Drum Corps grind now. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

The activity was also less theatrical than it is now. They wanted to approach it like they do with Pulse and POW which is now more than ever how they could run things. I don't think Grom is looking to do the Drum Corps grind now. 

It was only 2016 when he was at Blue Stars last as I recall. I don't see any corps show design being that drastically different since then. However, that just goes back to my original statement earlier. If Crown wants to improve their percussion, they need to adapt their show design process and not just plug name X into the slot. I also don't think being successful in WGI will directly applies to DCI. Tim Fairbanks has floated around DCI for years doing visual design without a ton of high end success that even matches where he made his name in the WGI activity.

Show design is a real struggle and it just needs to be the right team collaborating to make everyone successful. I struggle trying to get my voice heard in my marching band program as a percussion teacher and arranger. I don't like to be told when to play and not to play. I want to be more involved in the design conversation to have more control over my program. Sometimes there can be too many hands in the cookie jar and sometimes someone has overbearing control of who can put their hands in the cookie jar. I don't know which bucket Crown falls into but I do know percussion has been a problem for them no matter who they have had teaching them. I hope whoever they bring in has the trust to make that program theirs and is allowed to put their stamp on it instead of playing backup band for the horn line.

• Like 2

I don't believe the 2022 percussion team was the problem at Crown.  If Crown had a stronger show design, the corps AND THEIR PERCUSSION would have benefitted...you can't answer every design question with "needs more fabric."   That stated...I don't think they would have replaced any of the top 3 this year.

• Like 2