Staff Merry-go-round

9 minutes ago, wonker said:

According to their FB post announcing the new adds, they specifically say "joining" and list Hannum as well.

I'm not sure what Hannum is going to offer in the program at this point. Mike is clearly listed as a percussion arranger, which was Thom's job before now if I'm not mistaken. Maybe its just as a consultant in the background just to give him a title but his role is clearly (and probably rightfully so) diminished as they transition.

• Like 2

MJ's writing is a welcome thing from me back in the activity.   I loved his work with BK's line.  It will be interesting to see what he does on the team with Crown!  

39 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Dave and Rick were serving as their respective Corps Directors at the time however. Today, Dave is still at BD, and Rick at SCV. But neither are still Corps Directors there. They are there in other capacities. mostly of a consulting capacity.

Not SCV... Valenzuela is listed on the Blue Devils website.

• Rick Valenzuela
    Vice President of System Blue Education and Special Projects
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Dave and Rick were serving as their respective Corps Directors at the time however. Today, Dave is still at BD, and Rick at SCV. But neither are still Corps Directors there. They are there in other capacities. mostly of a consulting capacity.

I believe Pat Seidling is corps director for Blue Devils.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

I'm not sure what Hannum is going to offer in the program at this point. Mike is clearly listed as a percussion arranger, which was Thom's job before now if I'm not mistaken. Maybe its just as a consultant in the background just to give him a title but his role is clearly (and probably rightfully so) diminished as they transition.

sponsorship - and mentoring

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wonker said:

According to their FB post announcing the new adds, they specifically say "joining" and list Hannum as well.

Yes.  I had heard Thom was retiring so I was a bit surprised.  Although he was listed as part of the creative team last year, he was still somewhat directly involved with the battery.  My assumption is that he’ll step back from that and stick mostly to the upfront design and not much with auditions and rehearsals.  But, as with most, my assumption carries little value.

This whole Cadets conversation about the Aungst and Larrivee families and their involvement in the organization is interesting. As I know nothing about the inner workings of the Cadets, except for friends or acquaintances involved, I wish them well. 

Not sure how BD with the involvement of the Odello’s, Meehan’s and others made it work.  Or Blue Stars with the Furlano’s.  And I can go on and on with other corps.  Perhaps these corps just handle the family tree side of things better.

Hope all gets better with time.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gbass598 said:

Hannum's style of drumming is completely different than that of the Mike Jackson/ Kevin Shah duo.  Completely.  Not saying which is preferred, nor better... just that the approach with the brass playing is completely different.  As such. my guess, Thom Hannum will be there now at Crown mostly as an anchor consultant, called up now only when felt needed.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Boss Anova said:

Hannum's style of drumming is completely different than that of the Mike Jackson/ Kevin Shah duo.  Completely.  Not saying which is preferred, nor better... just that the approach with the brass playing is completely different.  As such. my guess, Thom Hannum will be there now at Crown mostly as an anchor consultant, called up now only when felt needed.

This is true. Mike Jackson has been my favorite battery arranger since Jim Casella left the activity. Pretty different backgrounds and styles. The current father of East Coast drumming vs one of the current kings of the West Coast for sure.

• Like 1