Phantom Regiment 2023

Talk about a successful year! You can’t beat a surprise 8th place finish and a fan favorite show (for the second year in a row!). This design staff has Phantom moving back in the right direction. There’s obviously some kinks that need to be worked out, but as we all said a year ago, the future looks incredibly bright for Phantom. Can’t wait to see what they do in 2023. Where do we see Phantom going competitively? Let’s discuss!

Edited by college-phan
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, regimentlvr said:

I’m hoping for staff stability, with maybe a brilliant visual mind addition to take PR to the top 5. Also would like more content from the color guard. 

Agreed. If they could work out the issues with visual programming, they’d be a top six contender next season. Most notably, considering all the controversy, something needs to be done about the Color Guard staff if Phantom wants to draw the best of the best talent. Percussion also leaves a few question marks for me after this year. It was definitely a younger group, but we really need Ferguson et al to take some steps forward for Phantom to be a legitimate contender.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Agreed. If they could work out the issues with visual programming, they’d be a top six contender next season. Most notably, considering all the controversy, something needs to be done about the Color Guard staff if Phantom wants to draw the best of the best talent. Percussion also leaves a few question marks for me after this year. It was definitely a younger group, but we really need Ferguson et al to take some steps forward for Phantom to be a legitimate contender.

I 100% agree. It seems to me that the visual staff and brass staff are moving in the right direction but I personally think the color guard and percussion have (has? have has?) to be upgraded. 

I can't wait to see what they have in mind for 2023 and the arrow is pointing up for sure. Lets build on 2022 and get back into the top 6!

• Like 1

I'm very excited to see what's next for them. If they can retain their membership and staff along with some key changes they'll be on the heels of several corps. If they could get Adam Sage back to head up their guard design again would be awesome.

• Like 1

I'm proud of what they accomplished this year. My attention this coming season will be split between SoA and PR for completely different reasons. I know NOTHING about guard or visual captions in all reality for "modern" drum corps. Things have changed considerably since the mid/late 80's when I marched. All of that being said, there will be PLENTY of people who will give advice on Guard and Percussion. The Alumni will most likely have the most influence (next to staff budget of course) and we may be barking at the moon. 

A Rennick book would be great. Do I think we'll get one? Meh...I don't know. He is one of the most "in demand" writers in the business. I've heard some rumors here and there about dissatisfaction with the instruction. I haven't been there to witness how the instruction is run so I simply don't have a feel for what's going on. This years battery looked like they were pretty young and a little green. BUT...it could just be a change in style of playing / instruction. Give 'em a year.

• Like 2

My hope is Regiment keeps the design staff largely intact. I've had issues with electronics design that I find elementary/naive (e.g., moaning, raindrop sounds in the ballad that I didn't hear until Indy - wtf is that). 

I'm not so sure about educational staff though. As others mentioned, the guard personnel issue seems unresolved, at least from the perspective of the complainant, and that should be a source of concern. And I've heard that percussion education leaves something to be desired - students unhappy, visibly in pain due to technique being taught (drumline). The days of teaching with sticks, not carrots, are over, and you have to adapt.

• Like 1