Phantom Regiment 2023

I’ve heard from some friends who are more in the loop that Jacob Taylor (Phantom’s visual caption head) has been let go, and was sent a screenshot of a post he had made on Facebook. The post is public, so I figured that it could spark some discussion on who else could possibly fill the role for 2023.

On another note, I don’t know Jacob Taylor but by the looks of it, Phantom had an excellent visual program this season so it begs the question to why they would let him go. I wish him the best of luck!

(also I don’t know how to attach photos but I’m sure if you find his FB you can find the post, sorry about that)

1 hour ago, username1949 said:

I’ve heard from some friends who are more in the loop that Jacob Taylor (Phantom’s visual caption head) has been let go, and was sent a screenshot of a post he had made on Facebook. The post is public, so I figured that it could spark some discussion on who else could possibly fill the role for 2023.

On another note, I don’t know Jacob Taylor but by the looks of it, Phantom had an excellent visual program this season so it begs the question to why they would let him go. I wish him the best of luck!

(also I don’t know how to attach photos but I’m sure if you find his FB you can find the post, sorry about that)

Obviously his design didn’t tick all the boxes sheetwise so maybe it was warranted? We will see. Thank you for what you contributed for the 2022 season Jacob. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

Obviously his design didn’t tick all the boxes sheetwise so maybe it was warranted? We will see. Thank you for what you contributed for the 2022 season Jacob. 

He was the caption head, not designer. 

I thought Bob Smith and Courtney Allyson Mills were co-caption heads, but maybe that was last year. Feet were definitely messy early in the year but seemed to improve. 

Phantom's closing drill was my visual highlight of the night.  So satisfying. 

I think that's what I miss most in modern visual design... sustained full ensemble drill moments.  Hard to do with more kids, I get it.  🙂

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, username1949 said:

Best of luck to Jacob Taylor in his future endeavors! Judging by the comments on his post, he was very well liked and appreciated at Phantom.

In terms of where this leaves the program, you have to think they wouldn't make this sort of move without having someone lined up that they think will help the sheets, correct?

I was thrilled with Regiment's progress this year.  The WIP to re-establish their identity & music while modernizing is working wonderfully.  I'm confident in the Sr. Leadership & BOD, and most of all in JD Shaw.  I can't wait to see what they have in store for next year.  2021-2022 had been a huge turning point.  Thank you to all the members, staff, parents, and supporters who have stood behind and elevated this corps again.

Harvey

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ranintothedoor said:

Phantom's closing drill was my visual highlight of the night.  So satisfying. 

I think that's what I miss most in modern visual design... sustained full ensemble drill moments.  Hard to do with more kids, I get it.  🙂

I miss it too.  Cleaned up at Finals, that closing drill in the last 2 minutes was wonderful from my seats low on the 50 in section 640.  There's nothing more effective to me the high speed, precise drill with powerful music.  

I will say, I did notice nearly every corps had more drill this year than 2019 - or at least it felt that way to me. Maybe not super eye-popping in many cases, but much more marching.  I do think Phantom has to find ways to do a bit more movement and use of MEANINGFUL props (not check the box props like some have had), while maintaining a great amount of marching while playing.  That's the ticket, along with better staging for the guard.  

Thanks, again, Regiment for all that great drill accompanying the best brass book on the field.  

17 hours ago, username1949 said:

I thought the whole transparency and responses were very professional.  Of course he's disappointed but it was good to see Regiment admin, staff and members acknowledge and thank him.