Phantom Regiment 2023

Curious if the departures have anything to do with the guard staff abuse that was swirling around 

5 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Curious if the departures have anything to do with the guard staff abuse that was swirling around 

At this point, it’s only speculation/conjecture. What’s done is done. Let’s wait and see what the new staff roster looks like.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sutasaurus said:

At this point, it’s only speculation/conjecture. What’s done is done. Let’s wait and see what the new staff roster looks like.

I am excited to see who they bring in. This year’s iteration was much better than their attempt in 2019 but the tables were still a bit disastrous from a visual design standpoint. Regardless of what changes occur, I hope they continue looking like Phantom 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, username1949 said:

I’ve heard from some friends who are more in the loop that Jacob Taylor (Phantom’s visual caption head) has been let go, and was sent a screenshot of a post he had made on Facebook. The post is public, so I figured that it could spark some discussion on who else could possibly fill the role for 2023.

On another note, I don’t know Jacob Taylor but by the looks of it, Phantom had an excellent visual program this season so it begs the question to why they would let him go. I wish him the best of luck!

(also I don’t know how to attach photos but I’m sure if you find his FB you can find the post, sorry about that)

IMO, while the visual design was lightyears ahead of recent history, it was still at least 5 years or more behind the times. And, I liked what they did this year, it just wasn't the visual program that meets the higher boxes.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I am excited to see who they bring in. This year’s iteration was much better than their attempt in 2019 but the tables were still a bit disastrous from a visual design standpoint. Regardless of what changes occur, I hope they continue looking like Phantom 

But, at least as of now, design isn't changing.

4 minutes ago, kdaddy said:

But, at least as of now, design isn't changing.

Oh interesting who is the visual designer for phantom? They’ve had so many changes over the years it’s hard to keep track 

14 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Oh interesting who is the visual designer for phantom? They’ve had so many changes over the years it’s hard to keep track 

Those confirmed (FB official) to be leaving are educational staff - visual caption head, guard caption head/asst caption head.

Adam Sage is the primary visual/guard designer. Steven Estudillo is the drill designer. And the program coordinator, Tony Hall, is a visual guy also (e.g., he was the drill designer for the crab step in 93). Plus there are other choreographers. 

Edited by kdaddy

19 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

I don't think it was “disastrous.”  

Did anyone really notice how much Phantom used their props?  How many times were they moving those tables to be part of a new set?  Quite a bit.  In some cases, more than necessary, but they still had them completely integrated into the visual.

I felt there were also some issues with their design.  The tarp-like covering looked like the cover one puts on a picnic table (flimsy) and I felt the line design on them was a bit distracting at times.  

I don't know the effort required to push them, but some guard members did not look like they had the strength to push them quickly across multiple yard lines as they were tasked to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Continental said:

I don't think it was “disastrous.”  

Did anyone really notice how much Phantom used their props?  How many times were they moving those tables to be part of a new set?  Quite a bit.  In some cases, more than necessary, but they still had them completely integrated into the visual.

I felt there were also some issues with their design.  The tarp-like covering looked like the cover one puts on a picnic table (flimsy) and I felt the line design on them was a bit distracting at times.  

I don't know the effort required to push them, but some guard members did not look like they had the strength to push them quickly across multiple yard lines as they were tasked to do. 

Well that’s what I’m talking about. The carts were noisy and could be heard from my vantage point when I viewed them live in Atlanta. The guard looked like they were struggling to push them. The props were too low to provide any sort of significant visual effect and didn’t really contribute to the show concept (which already was quite convoluted). The props were often not properly aligned and because they did not try to hide the props being moved via staging and instead made their movements prominent in the show, any cart that was lagging behind in formation was an eyesore and immediately commanded the audience’s attention. They were curved for whatever reason adding to the visual dirt and didn’t add any sort of pop of color to a show that was overall visually bland. It reminds me of the props from Cadets 2013 but atleast those directly tied into the show theme and were much cleaner by finals than Phantom 2022’s version. 

Don’t get me wrong, this phantom show is my 2nd favorite of 2022 despite all the visual shortcomings. But yes, those props were quite disastrous and they jumped the Cavies mostly due to Cavies stagnating and the members of Phantom performing the crap out of what they were given. I hope they can use this momentum to continue improving the design language and bring the visual design into the 2020s rather than the early 2010s

1 hour ago, Continental said:

The props caused multiple injuries  due to exactly this. They were not small or easy to push around and missing dots caused people to run into the prop (like a tenor and bass did in finals). Ex: The bass drum that had to be helped off the field at the end of the year was due to exactly this (he hit them multiple times).

Me being "old school", most props are just in the way and don't really help the show IMO. I didn't mind these props IF they could have made them less intrusive and difficult to move around. 

• Sad 3