Phantom Regiment 2023

3 hours ago, college-phan said:

Phantom needs to come out in 2023 with something akin to 1993. This past season was perfect for creating momentum and hype. It was the quintessential Phantom Regiment show. You've got some dark music, white uniforms, loudness, etc. That's very similar to 1992 when Phantom did War and Peace. I mean, there's little more Phantom than Tchaikovsky. 1993, however, completely turned what Phantom was on its head and put them on track to win in 1996. They were still very much loyal to tradition and their reputation and all, but they pushed the envelope of what their tradition and reputation was. If 2023 can capture even a bit of that energy, it's going to be beyond exciting to watch. Phantom is at its absolute best when it's simultaneously progressing the art while staying true to itself. I should also note that Phantom went from 8th in 1992 to 3rd in 1993. That would be a nice thing to repeat for the Thirtieth Anniversary of that show!

While on the topic of 1993, I will forever say that if the 1993 season was one or two weeks longer, Phantom would've won a championship that year. They had lightning in a bottle and the whole activity was on notice. 

What also propelled Phantom to a different direction in '93 was the death of their drill designer, John Brazale, in '92.  

Please note the 3:15 mark in the attached video where Phantom's Director shows his displeasure with their 8th place finish. 

57 minutes ago, TexasPRfan said:

I agree with you 1000% on that 1993 show.  He who no longer gets named that was leading the Maroon team even commented right after Finals that he was glad there wasn't another week to go or Regiment could have one.  They came on like a freight train.  The feeling in the the stadium in that armpit called Jackson was electric that night.  The flying crab step wedge with the intense, 360 pivot and snap, the intense music, a locked in & fierce Buick line and the incredible Fire of Eternal Glory ballad were absolutely fantastic and drove the fans wild.  The guard was incredibly complimentary that year as well.

I don't agree with the 1992 analogy though on several levels.  2022 was rising from a position of weakness in the late 2010s (picking up from the 2021 start).  And 3/4s of the show was much more akin to the modernity of the 1993 show, with only the Mahler in 2022 harkening to their more traditional classical style.  I'm not saying 2022 was groundbreaking and pushing the art forward today (though I care much more about corps being entertaining & having their own identity), but stylistically and musically, I don't see the 1992 analogy to be honest.  And thankfully it was another corps in 2022 that went nuts with Fabric (in a detrimental way)...

Completely agree with your comments on the analogy. That was more of a stretch for purposes of comparing placements haha. 

Either way, I hope Phantom does something completely new this upcoming year. Put the community on notice!

• Thanks 1

HOLY SHIZNIT.. Only in that FInals Week PR video did I finally get a clear enough look to see that the Chevron is indeed on all of the musician Costumes (not the guard)... on the top of that sash over the shoulder. It's easy to be fooled into thinking it's another part of the Criss-cross pattern.

2023 design team…whoever you may be…..

please oh please oh please!

This is such a Clair de Lune moment.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

2023 design team…whoever you may be…..

please oh please oh please!

This is such a Clair de Lune moment.

Beautiful, SUTAsaurus! I agree. Next year’s show is probably already set in stone though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeN said:

Honestly, I'd be surprised if it was.  Phantom's mileage may vary, but in general, drum corps design staffs get together either during football season or right after.  Keep lobbying them in the meantime! 🙂

Mike

unless changes are happening, more and more are starting earlier because of licensing concerns

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zakhad Utah said:

Apparently corps members and other smartalecks are referring to that as the "Mosh Pit"   😳😁

I resemble that remark! 😁