Phantom Regiment 2023

It's interesting that "JD Shaw announces percussion hires" and "Steven Estudillo announces visual hires." 

I don't remember seeing this sort of thing in drum corps, but I like that music and visual directors are publicly getting credit for bringing in folks they're comfortable with (not just behind the scenes). 

Feels like Phantom over the past two or so years has pulled an SCV early 2010s or Boston mid-2010s and just hired a staff that will put them in contention for a top-six finish very quickly. I’m extremely excited to see what this team puts together with so much established, championship winning design talent

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

Wow! I’m not a percussion person but it looks like they landed some good talent. Can anyone share experiences with any of the team?

Tyler and Matt did our arrangements for two years while I was at Guardians.  They were a pleasure to work with and their charts were awesome - they have a real eye for writing to the talent.

MIke

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So much good news. I believe it’s possible there was a concerted effort by those who understood the implications of PR falling out of the top 12 to rush to rescue of such an important group to the activity and its identity. Phantom being absent from finals night would have been seen as an unacceptable loss to many of the pillars of the community. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, PRomoter said:

So much good news. I believe it’s possible there was a concerted effort by those who understood the implications of PR falling out of the top 12 to rush to rescue of such an important group to the activity and its identity. Phantom being absent from finals night would have been seen as an unacceptable loss to many of the pillars of the community. 

You have to give kudos to the BOD and the entire Regiment organization for their efforts to turn things around. I’m seriously in awe of what they have accomplished in the last two years. These staffing announcements are certainly encouraging.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3

I love the fact they are being MORE Phantom and not just doing what other people are doing.  Standing O's all season...pretty sure they know what people want.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

I love the fact they are being MORE Phantom and not just doing what other people are doing.  Standing O's all season...pretty sure they know what people want.

It’s a fine line to “Walk Too Far” to be competitive and yet capture the audience. Having been a MM elevendy million years ago, my money is on being there for the fans. That’s who counts.

Flame away.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

It’s a fine line to “Walk Too Far” to be competitive and yet capture the audience. Having been a MM elevendy million years ago, my money is on being there for the fans. That’s who counts.

Flame away.

No flaming from me. I'll take a 93.1 with fun and excitement vs a 98.9 with a what in the heck did I just watch all day long. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 9/21/2022 at 9:23 PM, 49rfan said:

I’ve heard the same if not worse things about him, and that it could be a catalyst for members not returning, which really begs the question whether it was a good move to bring him back if even veterans don’t return because of one guy.

I’ve seen and heard it in person. Negative to the core.