Phantom Regiment 2023

On 9/29/2022 at 5:25 PM, Sutasaurus said:

You have to give kudos to the BOD and the entire Regiment organization for their efforts to turn things around. I’m seriously in awe of what they have accomplished in the last two years. These staffing announcements are certainly encouraging.

Spot on, Sutasaurus.  I posted something similar in the staff changes thread.  After 2019, I was over the moon by the new BOD & leadership - and JD Shaw.  Then, Boom!  Covid hits and it's been a slow burn waiting to see what I hoped for come to life.  2021 gave us an amazing sneak preview and 2022 cemented it - Regiment looks, feels and sounds like Regiment again.  JD & the team did a great job working with a card playing hand with a lot of legacy cards.  Now the slate is clean, and upgraded in virtually every way.  I solidly now expect Regiment to continue their climb in 2023.  That's a hard ladder in front of them, but I can definitely see 6th or 7th as realistic.  And I trust more than ever they will be true to Regiment's identity and have great, passionate shows the fans will love.  Go Regiment!

Harvey

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I feel I'm the only one who had Phantom placing higher than they finished.  I can honestly say that the work they did in the last month was the best I've seen from any corp since I marched. I think that bodes well for this next year.  Add in the recent hires and Phantom could be top five BUT it all will fall on the music and execution early. They need to be top 3-5 starting off the season. Whatever they did to clean things up at the end of the season needs to carry over immediately at the start of this upcoming season. 

Expect the best!

• Like 1

When you have more to clean..you have more to clean.  Until the judging system starts taking time played/marched (movement) into consideration as score...you are going to have a harder time.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

When you have more to clean..you have more to clean.  Until the judging system starts taking time played/marched (movement) into consideration as score...you are going to have a harder time.

I think that wraps it up pretty nicely really. Right now, PR is doing more marching than most and not be rewarded as highly as some of would want (including me,) and I really can't see it changing. 

One of the things that strikes me is just HOW different the top tier shows are in design. To me the most stark contrast you could make using PR would be up against Bluecoats. The shows are SO different. I LOVE both shows but just look at the contrast between the two. Both shows have demand, both have fantastic musical content but they are so different. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that wraps it up pretty nicely really. Right now, PR is doing more marching than most and not be rewarded as highly as some of would want (including me,) and I really can't see it changing. 

One of the things that strikes me is just HOW different the top tier shows are in design. To me the most stark contrast you could make using PR would be up against Bluecoats. The shows are SO different. I LOVE both shows but just look at the contrast between the two. Both shows have demand, both have fantastic musical content but they are so different. 

and THAT is a good thing.  I would hate to see the same stuff from everyone.  They REALLY need to start focusing on "judgeable" content and start getting real about playing and marching (moving) time as it regards to score.  Also, as a side note this giving a pass for incomplete shows as it regards to the last years placement needs to stop.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

and THAT is a good thing.  I would hate to see the same stuff from everyone.  They REALLY need to start focusing on "judgeable" content and start getting real about playing and marching (moving) time as it regards to score.  Also, as a side note this giving a pass for incomplete shows as it regards to the last years placement needs to stop.

Could you explain this further? I don’t think early season incomplete shows had any bearing on final placement.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brian Tuma said:

Could you explain this further? I don’t think early season incomplete shows had any bearing on final placement.

Simple, I am talking from here on...not looking back.  At the start of 2024 I am sure there will be incomplete shows that will get credit for the previous year accomplishment rather than judging by content that is being presented on the field.  IE..standing still for the last 2 minutes of a show should not be getting credit for a complete show.  Some real head scratchers in previous years regarding this starting season "slotting" based on the previous year finals.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As a side note: it is so nice to see consistent, relevant conversation going on through the off-season. A few years ago the conversation, mainly downers, ended a week or so after finals. Don’t get me wrong, I understand why. It’s just nice to keep seeing all of you pop up in my email every day or so. We don’t get to know each other more than on a comment-level basis, but I think I can safely say all of seem like very likable people, and we all share a similar passion for this group and what they represent. One of these days we ought to plan a meet-up at a local brew house during finals just to have a chance to say hello. Thanks to all of you who bring a smile in the middle of a crappy or, at least, unremarkable workday. Hope yours is a fantastic Tuesday. We are Spartacus!!!

• Like 4

Glad to see some new audio folks. I don’t feel like Regiment uses their audio to its potential. Hope these two work out. 

https://regiment.org/audio-design-team/