Phantom Regiment 2023

On 10/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that wraps it up pretty nicely really. Right now, PR is doing more marching than most and not be rewarded as highly as some of would want (including me,) and I really can't see it changing. 

One of the things that strikes me is just HOW different the top tier shows are in design. To me the most stark contrast you could make using PR would be up against Bluecoats. The shows are SO different. I LOVE both shows but just look at the contrast between the two. Both shows have demand, both have fantastic musical content but they are so different. 

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

On 10/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mello Dude said:

Simple, I am talking from here on...not looking back.  At the start of 2024 I am sure there will be incomplete shows that will get credit for the previous year accomplishment rather than judging by content that is being presented on the field.  IE..standing still for the last 2 minutes of a show should not be getting credit for a complete show.  Some real head scratchers in previous years regarding this starting season "slotting" based on the previous year finals.

actually incomplete shows mean the corps get judged on what they have offered that night. nothing more nothing less

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

Understood and clearly valid given the scores that we see and the judging trends. I did like the staging for Bluecoats this year. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually incomplete shows mean the corps get judged on what they have offered that night. nothing more nothing less

I remember in Yea Olden Days when there were penalties for going under-time.  Corps in early season would sometimes perform what they had complete, then go to parade rest until minimum time was met.  As this was the tick era, it gave the M&M judges oodles of time to look at everyone’s hands, feet, instrument, and equipment positions.   Generally GE took a hit as well.  

I do not understand why Corps today start season with incomplete shows.  If they have 28 days of spring training, math says they could learn 23 seconds of new material per day to get almost 11 min on the field.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do not understand why Corps today start season with incomplete shows.  If they have 28 days of spring training, math says they could learn 23 seconds of new material per day to get almost 11 min on the field.  

Good point. I would wonder if though, the sets that they are hitting over and over again are the sets that will garner the most points in music and GE. Differences between the 80's and now I guess. I didn't even consider it until you said something. I would make sense though. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Amazingly, it seems to fall within the same order as the previous years finals...regardless of "what is on the field". 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Perhaps, but the show that was voted fan favorite has a LOT of that "marching" for GE....and most people loved it.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Perhaps, but the show that was voted fan favorite has a LOT of that "marching" for GE....and most people loved it.

True dat.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember in Yea Olden Days when there were penalties for going under-time.  Corps in early season would sometimes perform what they had complete, then go to parade rest until minimum time was met.  As this was the tick era, it gave the M&M judges oodles of time to look at everyone’s hands, feet, instrument, and equipment positions.   Generally GE took a hit as well.  

i agree on unfinished. but it is what it is. 

9 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

true, they were the fave. but scores make the drum corps world ( and register) go round