Phantom Regiment 2023

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

These arguments always basically boil down to "I prefer A to B, so A should be rewarded compared to B."

It’s not prefer. It’s does it meet the criteria on the sheets.

now as for Phantom, I loved it. But it was dirty. But it was a great return to competitive relevance. As they try to climb the ladder more I expect changes in design 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Essentially this.  This is why some sort of "compulsory" metric needs to be implemented.  If it requires a timing judge(s) so be it.  Perhaps even delaying scores and using a video taped ala "instant replay" to go over these minimum timers or "compulsory" show requirements.  Hey, we are supposed to be looking forward right?

Nope. Because isn’t that one of the reasons they broke away from the veterans groups? Required tempos, start here, end there…. It was. Design was as important as control 

16 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the problem here is what you deem less many actually have more demand. running and running more then running more is just showing the same demand over and over. for close to 15 years BD has been bashed by many...myself even at times...for doing "less"...but they actually do MORE. they show you they can do something once, and do it #### well, then show you something else. so while a ton of "drill", is actually just the same skill again and again. in total, that's not as demanding

I think it's more challenging to do a lesser amount of things for a longer period of time with consistency at all times. Endurance is a thing and when you get to take breaks with all the different muscle groups, it is less challenging. Also, if one develops a good basics program, that will allow one to do many things consistently between members. It's just a different way of looking at things.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

now as for Phantom, I loved it. But it was dirty. But it was a great return to competitive relevance. As they try to climb the ladder more I expect changes in design 

Right, but people don't reconcile that the criteria don't necessarily reflect their personal preferences.

"I like corps that march, therefore corps that march should score higher." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Nope. Because isn’t that one of the reasons they broke away from the veterans groups? Required tempos, start here, end there…. It was. Design was as important as control 

Having "compulsory" doesn't mean going back to the 60's.  Simply having show minimums would make shows easier to judge side by side.  Unless, you simply want to award shows that do more.  I could live with that.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

At the beginning of the year you could say they were dirty....certainly not at finals.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You can beg or plead. I’m not wrong. Achievement drives the bus. The more achieved with clarity, the more demand goes up. Great you’re hauling ### half the show. But if it’s not clean, am I the judge supposed to give you points just cause you tried, even if you don’t achieve? No. There’s no compulsory factor in drum corps for a reason. You hear complaints now of how much is the same…..you make compulsories required Oy vey!

so no running and not being clean isn’t demand. It’s bad design and instruction because it’s not clean. A judge should not reward it just cause

So there’s no compulsory factor in drum corps? Explain the “need for props” or staging.  Just asking for a a few friends. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

So there’s no compulsory factor in drum corps? Explain the “need for props” or staging.  Just asking for a a few friends. 

Also, I noticed all the trombone "features" that are pretty common in many of the shows. Also, now the props need to be mobile and integrated into the show. They may not be compulsory, but your score doesn't rise if you don't have some moving props. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Also, I noticed all the trombone "features" that are pretty common in many of the shows. Also, now the props need to be mobile and integrated into the show. They may not be compulsory, but your score doesn't rise if you don't have some moving props. 

Ding ding ding ding.......unwritten "compulsory" is causing this. 

• Thanks 3