Phantom Regiment 2023

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

Pretty sure it’s time to move this discussion to another thread. 

Just saying that maybe it’s time to break from the mold and stop expecting corps and DCI  to follow/award the monkey see, monkey do paradigm.

Not hating on anyone here, just wanting to see other captions get awarded more than what they are today.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Pretty sure that wasn't what he typed...but at least you are consistent on reading comprehension.

you're right, it's not. he's pining for fads of days gone by, and that they were successful...at that time. now they aren't. Just because it's a fad doesn't mean it will score well. Quick....look at corps placing out of finals. they had props....but didn't score well, now did they? So how is it required for success? How many points did Surfs props get them? 

which goes back to what i typed. you feel you shouldn;t have to have those things to be successful. Ok...go design a show and prove us all wrong. Remember, you had to have a uniform....til Bloo showed you didn't have to have one. Now few have them. But are they all scoring well? No.

it's not what you have, it's how you use it. that's the part none of you want to listen to.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Just saying that maybe it’s time to break from the mold and stop expecting corps and DCI  to follow/award the monkey see, monkey do paradigm.

Not hating on anyone here, just wanting to see other captions get awarded more than what they are today.

petition the competition committee. the corps vote what gets judged.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

petition the competition committee. the corps vote what gets judged.

Doesn't matter what is on the sheets if the people that interpret them read like you.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

you're right, it's not. he's pining for fads of days gone by, and that they were successful...at that time. now they aren't. Just because it's a fad doesn't mean it will score well. Quick....look at corps placing out of finals. they had props....but didn't score well, now did they? So how is it required for success? How many points did Surfs props get them? 

which goes back to what i typed. you feel you shouldn;t have to have those things to be successful. Ok...go design a show and prove us all wrong. Remember, you had to have a uniform....til Bloo showed you didn't have to have one. Now few have them. But are they all scoring well? No.

it's not what you have, it's how you use it. that's the part none of you want to listen to.

Jeff, time to let this discussion go. You aren’t earning any converts, and this discussion is its own thread. Thanks for the info and thoughts, but time to let it go. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Quick... look at corps placing out of finals. they had props....but didn't score well, now did they? So how is it required for success? How many points did Surfs props get them? 

That's a logical fallacy. Props are necessary, but not sufficient to score well. There's also the requirement for a certain level of proficiency and excellence to score well.  Props are a differentiator. If two corps play and execute well, having the props add that little extra special sauce to push one over the other. Now, if the props are crap, then I'm not even sure if that detracts...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PRomoter said:

Jeff, time to let this discussion go. You aren’t earning any converts, and this discussion is its own thread. Thanks for the info and thoughts, but time to let it go. 

Who exactly isn't letting something go? The last several pages of this thread have been "Phantom Regiment isn't being rewarded at doing things that I like. They should be rewarded because I like those things." 

Here are four things that I find to be true: (i) I loved Phantom Regiment in 2022. (ii) They deserved 8th at best (could argue 9th, though that's essentially a rounding error). (iii) If Regiment wants to move up in the world, they need a more sophisticated thought process on visual and electronics. (iv) Hoping that Regiment doesn't implement (iii) means that one needs to accept that they'll hang around their current placement (and by "accept," I mean "continue to grumble about it next October"). 

(with respect to (iii), I think they made strides this offseason)

• Thanks 4

Well, we are getting a new Food truck this year,  I think 600k worth.   Not that the old food truck was ever accused of having bad food or small quantities of food.   I think that may help the corps, at least the A/C will keep old volunteers like me from totally burning out working there on hot days.    I wonder if this one will just be called food truck or if they will find a cute name for it, the other trailers have names, but I think the food truck was Just "Food Truck ".  

• Like 3