Phantom Regiment 2023

3 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Who exactly isn't letting something go? The last several pages of this thread have been "Phantom Regiment isn't being rewarded at doing things that I like. They should be rewarded because I like those things." 

Here are four things that I find to be true: (i) I loved Phantom Regiment in 2022. (ii) They deserved 8th at best (could argue 9th, though that's essentially a rounding error). (iii) If Regiment wants to move up in the world, they need a more sophisticated thought process on visual and electronics. (iv) Hoping that Regiment doesn't implement (iii) means that one needs to accept that they'll hang around their current placement (and by "accept," I mean "continue to grumble about it next October"). 

(with respect to (iii), I think they made strides this offseason)

My opinion is that whoever has the cleanest show with the cleanest music, that is at least somewhat challenging, will win. Regiment fans get frustrated because we want them to win because they do what we like, me included. But, they’ve always been underdogs, which is part of the reason we love them. We feel like our musical and visual tastes are the epitome of the sport. All but two years since 1965 the judges haven’t agreed. I think we like complaining about it nearly as much as we like winning. There is a musical self-righteousness to being a Phantom fan, and that’s fine by me. Analyzing it ad infinitum is not going to help them win. If they did what it takes to be a medaling corps most years, I bet most of us would no longer be fans. 

I just don’t see any reason for us to get our noses out of joint over Phantom being a crowd favorite underdog that rarely wins when that’s what Phantom is famous for - thumbing its nose at conventionality and the path to medaling by doing mainly the same type of show year after year, and sometimes winning in the process. That’s why we lap it up year after year after year. 🙂

• Thanks 2

On 10/21/2022 at 11:19 PM, Jeff Ream said:

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

I hear you Jeff.  However, I will say that I noticed more marching and drill from most corps than I remember in 2019 (last judged season).  I hope that trend continues.

Harvey

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 11:54 PM, Jeff Ream said:

true, they were the fave. but scores make the drum corps world ( and register) go round

I generally agree, as many kids look at placements as they decide where to march.  However, Phantom's Souvie booth lines have been longer and deeper than most the last 2 seasons, which certainly doesn't hurt financials...  🙂

On 10/24/2022 at 4:56 PM, Mello Dude said:

At the beginning of the year you could say they were dirty....certainly not at finals.

I totally agree.  By Finals, what was really messy to the point of unreadable mid season looked (and sounded) pretty ###### clean by Saturday night - with a LOT of demand

• Like 2

6 hours ago, inbetween said:

e-AdjudicateAcademy

Some of you really should consider taking a few of these courses. 

Is it funny?

1 hour ago, jjeffeory said:

Is it funny?

Not really. Very WGI focused which is not a bad thing, but I prefer a separation between WGI and Drum Corps.

FYI “Inbetween” all you have offered in many threads is a haha emoji…..not particularly adding insight to multiple conversations. It’s time to speak up.

Donning my flame proof suit.

Edited by Sutasaurus
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

Not really. Very WGI focused which is not a bad thing, but I prefer a separation between WGI and Drum Corps.

FYI “Inbetween” all you have offered in many threads is a haha emoji…..not particularly adding insight to multiple conversations. It’s time to speak up.

Donning my flame proof suit.

Fairly certain that is someone's second account to add those.  Pretty consistent across the forum. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Doesn't matter what is on the sheets if the people that interpret them read like you.

well i read like most judges do....and in DCI they get the call right a lot more than they don't.

10 hours ago, jjeffeory said:

That's a logical fallacy. Props are necessary, but not sufficient to score well. There's also the requirement for a certain level of proficiency and excellence to score well.  Props are a differentiator. If two corps play and execute well, having the props add that little extra special sauce to push one over the other. Now, if the props are crap, then I'm not even sure if that detracts...

corps can play and execute great with crap props. we've seen it happen....this past summer

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, kdaddy said:

Who exactly isn't letting something go? The last several pages of this thread have been "Phantom Regiment isn't being rewarded at doing things that I like. They should be rewarded because I like those things." 

Here are four things that I find to be true: (i) I loved Phantom Regiment in 2022. (ii) They deserved 8th at best (could argue 9th, though that's essentially a rounding error). (iii) If Regiment wants to move up in the world, they need a more sophisticated thought process on visual and electronics. (iv) Hoping that Regiment doesn't implement (iii) means that one needs to accept that they'll hang around their current placement (and by "accept," I mean "continue to grumble about it next October"). 

(with respect to (iii), I think they made strides this offseason)

i heart you

• Haha 1