Phantom Regiment 2023

9 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Well, it would give DCP another thing to debate during the off season.  

If debate = fight to the death, I hear ya. 

34 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

If debate = fight to the death, I hear ya. 

When does it ever not mean that here?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The problem w/ PotO regardless of arrangement, is that it will automatically be compared to the much loved  1988/9 SCV version.  

Has anyone tried to play New World Symphony since '89?  That would be really risky.  But, on the other hand, SCV did Les Mis after Cadets did it in '89, but they waited a loooong time as well.

I’m with Kopeck… a reboot of Symphonie “Phantastique” would be worth looking into.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

I’m with Kopeck… a reboot of Symphonie “Phantastique” would be worth looking into.

I\d rather see new stuff to be honest.  There is simply SO much that hasn't been done.

Edited by Mello Dude
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I\d rather see new stuff to be honest.  There is simply SO much that hasn't been done.

A reboot could contain non Berlioz material….

11 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

I have said before that 'A Clockwork Orange' has Phantom written all over it - Purcell, Rossini, and The Glorious Ninth of Ludwig van.  The music is critical to the story.  But the insurmountable problem is the (ultra)violence - also critical to the story is a r*pe & a r*pe/murd*r.  But the music is glorious.

17 hours ago, phd-student-TTU said:

No. No. No. 

if they choose this as the rep, PRomoter will hear me scream from my place. 

Nice inside joke there. Sending a drink to your table. LOL

• Thanks 1

If Phantom or any corps for that matter decides on Andrew Lloyd Webber, I’d be cautious. He has his share of showstoppers that can be used effectively in drum corps, no question, and a musical review of his songbook featuring the wide range could be interesting, but his music is really is stuck in the 80’s and that’s fine for long rides in the car, on our playlists, a revival by a local theater group or high school/college drama club, etc., but I’m not sure a straightforward “Phantom” or “Cats” or “Evita” for that matter would be the best idea for drum corps at a time innovation and originality are critical for success. I’m sure I’d enjoy such a show, but I don’t think it would threaten BAC, Bloo, Crown, or BD, or Mandarins, Cadets, or Cavies for that matter.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Tim K said:

If Phantom or any corps for that matter decides on Andrew Lloyd Webber, I’d be cautious. He has his share of showstoppers that can be used effectively in drum corps, no question, and a musical review of his songbook featuring the wide range could be interesting, but his music is really is stuck in the 80’s and that’s fine for long rides in the car, on our playlists, a revival by a local theater group or high school/college drama club, etc., but I’m not sure a straightforward “Phantom” or “Cats” or “Evita” for that matter would be the best idea for drum corps at a time innovation and originality are critical for success. I’m sure I’d enjoy such a show, but I don’t think it would threaten BAC, Bloo, Crown, or BD, or Mandarins, Cadets, or Cavies for that matter.

I have been accused of being stuck in the 80s too.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2