Jump to content

Phantom Regiment 2023


Recommended Posts

On 10/16/2022 at 12:11 PM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I think that wraps it up pretty nicely really. Right now, PR is doing more marching than most and not be rewarded as highly as some of would want (including me,) and I really can't see it changing. 

One of the things that strikes me is just HOW different the top tier shows are in design. To me the most stark contrast you could make using PR would be up against Bluecoats. The shows are SO different. I LOVE both shows but just look at the contrast between the two. Both shows have demand, both have fantastic musical content but they are so different. 

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, Mello Dude said:

Simple, I am talking from here on...not looking back.  At the start of 2024 I am sure there will be incomplete shows that will get credit for the previous year accomplishment rather than judging by content that is being presented on the field.  IE..standing still for the last 2 minutes of a show should not be getting credit for a complete show.  Some real head scratchers in previous years regarding this starting season "slotting" based on the previous year finals.

actually incomplete shows mean the corps get judged on what they have offered that night. nothing more nothing less

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

Understood and clearly valid given the scores that we see and the judging trends. I did like the staging for Bluecoats this year. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually incomplete shows mean the corps get judged on what they have offered that night. nothing more nothing less

I remember in Yea Olden Days when there were penalties for going under-time.  Corps in early season would sometimes perform what they had complete, then go to parade rest until minimum time was met.  As this was the tick era, it gave the M&M judges oodles of time to look at everyone’s hands, feet, instrument, and equipment positions.   Generally GE took a hit as well.  
 

I do not understand why Corps today start season with incomplete shows.  If they have 28 days of spring training, math says they could learn 23 seconds of new material per day to get almost 11 min on the field.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do not understand why Corps today start season with incomplete shows.  If they have 28 days of spring training, math says they could learn 23 seconds of new material per day to get almost 11 min on the field.  

Good point. I would wonder if though, the sets that they are hitting over and over again are the sets that will garner the most points in music and GE. Differences between the 80's and now I guess. I didn't even consider it until you said something. I would make sense though. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

actually incomplete shows mean the corps get judged on what they have offered that night. nothing more nothing less

Amazingly, it seems to fall within the same order as the previous years finals...regardless of "what is on the field". 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

the game is about staging now. marching for the sake of marching is considered old school

Perhaps, but the show that was voted fan favorite has a LOT of that "marching" for GE....and most people loved it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mello Dude said:

Perhaps, but the show that was voted fan favorite has a LOT of that "marching" for GE....and most people loved it.

True dat.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I remember in Yea Olden Days when there were penalties for going under-time.  Corps in early season would sometimes perform what they had complete, then go to parade rest until minimum time was met.  As this was the tick era, it gave the M&M judges oodles of time to look at everyone’s hands, feet, instrument, and equipment positions.   Generally GE took a hit as well.  
 

I do not understand why Corps today start season with incomplete shows.  If they have 28 days of spring training, math says they could learn 23 seconds of new material per day to get almost 11 min on the field.  

i agree on unfinished. but it is what it is. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Perhaps, but the show that was voted fan favorite has a LOT of that "marching" for GE....and most people loved it.

true, they were the fave. but scores make the drum corps world ( and register) go round

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...