Phantom Regiment 2023

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

true, they were the fave. but scores make the drum corps world ( and register) go round

Indeed.  This is why I stress "judgeable content".  When a corps has less "judgeable content" and gets more score for doing less, there is a disconnect to what this activity is all about.  The drastic differences in marching and ensemble playing times is VERY relevant to what should be getting looked into...VERY seriously.  It's pretty #### easy to clean less than more.  DCI should be looking into what competitive ice skating is doing or has done as regards to having some sort of base line.  You do more (all other factors being equal) you should be getting credit..and we are not seeing this to the extent some corps are doing a LOT more and not getting scored correctly.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Mello Dude said:

Indeed.  This is why I stress "judgeable content".  When a corps has less "judgeable content" and gets more score for doing less, there is a disconnect to what this activity is all about.  The drastic differences in marching and ensemble playing times is VERY relevant to what should be getting looked into...VERY seriously.  It's pretty #### easy to clean less than more.  DCI should be looking into what competitive ice skating is doing or has done as regards to having some sort of base line.  You do more (all other factors being equal) you should be getting credit..and we are not seeing this to the extent some corps are doing a LOT more and not getting scored correctly.

Best I’ve seen it put. The skating comparison is spot on. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i agree on unfinished. but it is what it is. 

If you make it cost points, the Corps will address it.  
edit:  Or, better yet, perform only 65% of the minimum show time, receive 65% of the performance fee.  

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

If you make it cost points, the Corps will address it.  

I mean that's 100% valid. It would, be interesting to see the scores with a complete show but needing major cleaning vs an incomplete show with 2 minutes of park n' bark. Then I would love to see how big of a difference it would be from judge to judge. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I mean that's 100% valid. It would, be interesting to see the scores with a complete show but needing major cleaning vs an incomplete show with 2 minutes of park n' bark. Then I would love to see how big of a difference it would be from judge to judge. 

This.  I would also mention even at finals we have literally 2-3 minutes difference in ensemble playing time between units.  Not to mention other "judgeable content" such as marching and playing, guard work etc...  There must be some sort of "minimum compulsory" metric given to judges as a baseline to judge the shows.  Right now I would say it's a huge mess. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

Speaking of.  You've got this 17 year old out there ready to be the Blue Devils of competitive skating now. 

:spitting:

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

Or, knowing their first performance date, the designers and instructors could teach the members the show in time to have a presentable product on opening night.  

• Like 3

What’s interesting about the current discussion is that the Regiment consistently puts out a full show at the season debut. Granted, many shows went under serious reconfiguration, but they brought a full show to the game from jump. Why isn’t that taken into consideration at the beginning of the season? Competitive inertia be darned.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sutasaurus said:

What’s interesting about the current discussion is that the Regiment consistently puts out a full show at the season debut. Granted, many shows went under serious reconfiguration, but they brought a full show to the game from jump. Why isn’t that taken into consideration at the beginning of the season? Competitive inertia be darned.

And why is this being discussed on this thread, as opposed to, say the Blue Knights thread, for an example?

Edited by Jurassic Lancer

1 hour ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

And why is this being discussed on this thread, as opposed to, say the Blue Knights thread, for an example?

Agreed.