Phantom Regiment 2023

44 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

My favorite PR show of all time is '85. Yes, I know it didn't place well; but that Symphonie Fantastique show was ear candy. With the hornline they have, now; another Symphonie Fantastique show would be amazing. :thumbup:

Dr. Bernard Baggs would agree with you! The Brazale drill was trendsetting, the music was as you say, “ear candy” the two together didn’t jive. $2K to my dear friend Shawn S for her piccolo trumpet solo in the closer. Impeccable!

• Like 4

On 8/19/2022 at 3:44 PM, Triple Forte said:

Phantom was my favorite corps this summer!

pleas to the staff and administration of the Rrgiment for 2023…

Continue your fan friendly approach to show selection and presentation

Continue to keep the program as gimmick free as possible

These are the reasons you had fans loving you and eating out of the palm of your hands. The membership will never forget thousands of fans cheering crazy for them every time they performed 

This will always be more important than a placement. 

Wholeheartedly agree with these suggestions, maybe they’re a corps that can keep a faithful design template for their uniforms/costumes in the way BD and Crown do(even though Crown’s is more minimalist and modern, the template kinda is the same)it doesn’t seem like they’ll go super out there in that regard either, which is a plus for them definitely. Probably jinxed all our hopes for 2023 in their maintaining of regality and elegance but I really do think they’ll keep to it!

8 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

Wholeheartedly agree with these suggestions, maybe they’re a corps that can keep a faithful design template for their uniforms/costumes in the way BD and Crown do(even though Crown’s is more minimalist and modern, the template kinda is the same)it doesn’t seem like they’ll go super out there in that regard either, which is a plus for them definitely. Probably jinxed all our hopes for 2023 in their maintaining of regality and elegance but I really do think they’ll keep to it!

We’ll see what the organization has in store for their 2023 program. Given the past two years, they have nailed it from a fan friendly perspective… now let’s see how they parlay that into medaling.🍿

• Like 3

On 8/20/2022 at 10:50 AM, Weaklefthand4ever said:

I really thought the one guy was going to die when he was being tossed around by the guard. It looked like a mafia beat down scene. 

And do we get to count the Spartacus show as 1 death or 2 deaths?

multiple

Phantom needs to come out in 2023 with something akin to 1993. This past season was perfect for creating momentum and hype. It was the quintessential Phantom Regiment show. You've got some dark music, white uniforms, loudness, etc. That's very similar to 1992 when Phantom did War and Peace. I mean, there's little more Phantom than Tchaikovsky. 1993, however, completely turned what Phantom was on its head and put them on track to win in 1996. They were still very much loyal to tradition and their reputation and all, but they pushed the envelope of what their tradition and reputation was. If 2023 can capture even a bit of that energy, it's going to be beyond exciting to watch. Phantom is at its absolute best when it's simultaneously progressing the art while staying true to itself. I should also note that Phantom went from 8th in 1992 to 3rd in 1993. That would be a nice thing to repeat for the Thirtieth Anniversary of that show!

While on the topic of 1993, I will forever say that if the 1993 season was one or two weeks longer, Phantom would've won a championship that year. They had lightning in a bottle and the whole activity was on notice. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, college-phan said:

Phantom needs to come out in 2023 with something akin to 1993. This past season was perfect for creating momentum and hype. It was the quintessential Phantom Regiment show. You've got some dark music, white uniforms, loudness, etc. That's very similar to 1992 when Phantom did War and Peace. I mean, there's little more Phantom than Tchaikovsky. 1993, however, completely turned what Phantom was on its head and put them on track to win in 1996. They were still very much loyal to tradition and their reputation and all, but they pushed the envelope of what their tradition and reputation was. If 2023 can capture even a bit of that energy, it's going to be beyond exciting to watch. Phantom is at its absolute best when it's simultaneously progressing the art while staying true to itself. I should also note that Phantom went from 8th in 1992 to 3rd in 1993. That would be a nice thing to repeat for the Thirtieth Anniversary of that show!

While on the topic of 1993, I will forever say that if the 1993 season was one or two weeks longer, Phantom would've won a championship that year. They had lightning in a bottle and the whole activity was on notice. 

Fire of Eternal Glory was epic! Definitely a great moment if Regiment's history!

• Like 1

Loved Phantom this year. So pretty. Only thing I would improve upon is the death toll, it's called Phantom Regiment not Alive People Regiment

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 8/24/2022 at 11:49 AM, college-phan said:

I agree with you 1000% on that 1993 show.  He who no longer gets named that was leading the Maroon team even commented right after Finals that he was glad there wasn't another week to go or Regiment could have won.  They came on like a freight train.  The feeling in the the stadium in that armpit called Jackson was electric that night.  The flying crab step wedge with the intense, 360 pivot and snap, the intense music, a locked in & fierce Buick line and the incredible Fire of Eternal Glory ballad were absolutely fantastic and drove the fans wild.  The guard was incredibly complimentary that year as well.

I don't agree with the 1992 analogy though on several levels.  2022 was rising from a position of weakness in the late 2010s (picking up from the 2021 start).  And 3/4s of the show was much more akin to the modernity of the 1993 show, with only the Mahler in 2022 harkening to their more traditional classical style.  I'm not saying 2022 was groundbreaking and pushing the art forward today (though I care much more about corps being entertaining & having their own identity), but stylistically and musically, I don't see the 1992 analogy to be honest.  And thankfully it was another corps in 2022 that went nuts with Fabric (in a detrimental way) - Not Phantom...

Edited by TexasPRfan