Blue Devils in the Details 2023

28 minutes ago, dcsnare93 said:

The definition of a three peat is literally three consecutive championships/victories. That this is even a debate is funny. No different than an Olympic athlete that three-peats in their event, which are held every 4 years.

Exactly...Hungarian sabre fencer Aron Szilagy (who could whomp my tush on my best day with him at his worst) has won three consecutive O-Games medals....and is considered a threepeat O-Games gold medalist.

Sorry, George....but you're wrong.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, skevinp said:

Is there an official source to match your certainty?

Others here (Jeff Ream) have stated DCI has stated as much, I don't know his source. I feel that it is not as difficult designing, teaching 3 years of championship shows in 5 years as it is in 3. It's certainly still difficult, but it absolutely is not the same and provides additional time for planning, designing, recruiting, dreaming up ideas etc. If you feel like it's the same, that's fine.

Edited by George Dixon

47 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

Others here (Jeff Ream) have stated DCI has stated as much, I don't know his source. I feel that it is not as difficult designing, teaching 3 years of championship shows in 5 years as it is in 3. It's certainly still difficult, but it absolutely is not the same and provides additional time for planning, designing, recruiting, dreaming up ideas etc. If you feel like it's the same, that's fine.

Take a look at Crown to see what 2 extra years of overthinking one design does. Winning a championship isn’t easy, period

• Thanks 2

I am sure Blue Devils already have a theme or concept for 2023. I've heard Chandler thinks of the themes and design choices way ahead of time, though I cannot confirm that. 

I thought the 2019 show was so clever. I loved BD this past summer too, but it took them a while to smooth over the rough edges with the music. It was an interesting choice of music and they eventually made it work. Great performers as always. I continue to be a BIG fan of the organization for all the ensembles they operate and things they do. 

If BD were ever to bring back a show I would love to see them re-examine the Rock Opera: Tommy. I would love to see what they could do with that now. 

Another show that would be interesting is a show based on the California lifestyle. Think sun, beaches, motion picture development, the music industry, silicon valley, etc., and present the visual in a positive, exciting, colorful and scenic manner. Music choices could be anything from some Beach Boys, the Mamas & the Papas, film, pop, rock, and jazz (Goodwin Big Phat Band or other West Coast style jazz). They could concentrate on the 60s and 70s or just look for the best music that works with the concept. Keep the visual design to more of a concept where you loosely suggest the lifestyle or moods through colors, set design, some props, and great music. Kind of a California Dreamin' show, or perhaps call the show West Cost Dreams. 

Crazy thoughts, but what the heck. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

Crazy thoughts, but what the heck. 🙂

That’s what we’re here for!

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

Take a look at Crown to see what 2 extra years of overthinking one design does. Winning a championship isn’t easy, period

never said it was - Blue Devils MAKE it look easy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jwillis35 said:

Another show that would be interesting is a show based on the California lifestyle. Think sun, beaches, motion picture development, the music industry, silicon valley, etc., and present the visual in a positive, exciting, colorful and scenic manner.

Sadly that romantic view of the "Golden State" is no longer our reality.  A dystopian show on exploding homeless population, increasing crime, feces laden streets, awful schools, and high taxes would be more accurate but unentertaining. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, George Dixon said:

However different the difficulty, it applies to all the corps they are competing with, too.  So I don’t think you can say it gives them a competitive advantage.  

In fact, one might argue they are so efficient in designing good shows within the constraint of a single off season that the additional time benefits other corps more than them.