Finals 2022 -- Saturday's Attendance?

4 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

We REALLY wanted a 50th Yearbook. And I missed going to see Bill's Drum Corps history exhibit -- yes, it should have been in LOS not somewhere across the street. (He was sitting behind us at Finals, so we did have the chance to say Hey. Our streak is intact.)

They wouldn’t let him set up at LOS.  The drum corps museum rented the space in the convention center with donations.  I don’t know if it was even acknowledged on the DCI website.  

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

We REALLY wanted a 50th Yearbook. And I missed going to see Bill's Drum Corps history exhibit -- yes, it should have been in LOS not somewhere across the street. (He was sitting behind us at Finals, so we did have the chance to say Hey. Our streak is intact.)

He’s a great guy and in my estimation is in the same category as Steve Vickers and the late Michael Boo as key in keeping drum corps history alive. 

• Like 4

Just now, Tim K said:

He’s a great guy and in my estimation is in the same category as Steve Vickers and the late Michael Boo as key in keeping drum corps history alive. 

You’re right. He’s a real guardian of the history and we all owe him a big thank you. The Kiltie uniform there was donated by Jim.  

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

All three days, no problem scanning tickets.  Jim had it up and ready to go and both tickets were scanned in an instant.  I haven’t had a paper boarding pass in years.  We went paperless way before DCI. 

going paperless is not just a DCI event issue. its many venues and far more customer issues. as a back up for East i had paper as well as on my phone just in case

12 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

They wouldn’t let him set up at LOS.  The drum corps museum rented the space in the convention center with donations.  I don’t know if it was even acknowledged on the DCI website.  

not sure about the website but i saw it mentioned on social media and the Fieldpass stuff a lot

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Dan did a nice interview with Bill that was shown several times at LOS and promoting the offsite exhibit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

Dan did a nice interview with Bill that was shown several times at LOS and promoting the offsite exhibit. 

I guess I wasn’t there when that was shown.  And I was in there a lot. Too bad because I would have preferred seeing that rather than the “Changes” video presentation. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

100% this. The fact that LOS showed up on Saturday, Aug. 13 with only 7 scanners is a failure certainly of LOS management, but also of DCI not to write certain venue performance requirements into the contract, one of them being the minimum number of scanners/gates/employees/ramps/doors/elevators needed to be in working order at the required times.

. . . and if DCI failed to anticipate LOS would come up short and would blame lazy workers who didn't show up, that's a failure of DCI, too -- not to anticipate that specific excuse, to but to anticipate whatever circumstance that might jeopardize LOS performance of its end of the bargain.

DCI is an event-planning enterprise. Asking it to have a Plan A, B and C for its showcase event doesn't strike me as unreasonable. The LOS contract should have hell-to-pay provisions for the kind of train wreck on display Saturday. If it doesn't, DCI isn't fighting hard enough for its own paying customers.

Maybe DCI did have an A, B, and C. Maybe B was the measly 10-minute delay the put into place. If so, Plan B sure was inadequate. It struck me as an insult to the first 3 or 4 corps, and their fans.

I agree re: contract provisions, but (1) I am doubtful DCI has enough leverage to negotiate them into the contract, or possibly didn’t foresee the need to, and (2) even if they did, unless there were prespecified damages for breach of such provisions, DCI would have a hard time showing damages, because the losses were suffered by the attendees, not DCI. The best they could do is threaten to terminate the remaining contract years for material breach and use that as leverage to renegotiate or exit the contract.

48 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I guess I wasn’t there when that was shown.  And I was in there a lot. Too bad because I would have preferred seeing that rather than the “Changes” video presentation. 

https://youtu.be/u6MutebER4k

• Thanks 1