Finals 2022 -- Saturday's Attendance?

5 minutes ago, lawdn said:

I agree re: contract provisions, but (1) I am doubtful DCI has enough leverage to negotiate them into the contract, or possibly didn’t foresee the need to, and (2) even if they did, unless there were prespecified damages for breach of such provisions, DCI would have a hard time showing damages, because the losses were suffered by the attendees, not DCI. The best they could do is threaten to terminate the remaining contract years for material breach and use that as leverage to renegotiate or exit the contract.

and DCi has too good a deal to pull that card

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being this my first official finals I've ever been to, I'm going to pose this question: Finals has been at Lucas Oil for over 10 years now. What was different? Did they use to have more gates? Is it actually digital tickets? I can't believe the attendance was THAT much more than before to cause this. But is it increased attendance? Is it all of it?

I had no problem getting in, but I also got in line at 2:45 when the gates opened at 3:30.

42 minutes ago, CrownBariDad said:

I seem to recall the video shown in LOS showed Bill Ives' name. I could be mistaken since I recognized him right off. 

23 minutes ago, TheOneWhoKnows said:

Being this my first official finals I've ever been to, I'm going to pose this question: Finals has been at Lucas Oil for over 10 years now. What was different? Did they use to have more gates? Is it actually digital tickets? I can't believe the attendance was THAT much more than before to cause this. But is it increased attendance? Is it all of it?

I had no problem getting in, but I also got in line at 2:45 when the gates opened at 3:30.

I'm wondering if it might be due to staff shortages, similar to what's been happening at airports. It seems like these low paying jobs are getting hard to fill since the pandemic.

1 hour ago, lawdn said:

I agree re: contract provisions, but (1) I am doubtful DCI has enough leverage to negotiate them into the contract, or possibly didn’t foresee the need to, and (2) even if they did, unless there were prespecified damages for breach of such provisions, DCI would have a hard time showing damages, because the losses were suffered by the attendees, not DCI. The best they could do is threaten to terminate the remaining contract years for material breach and use that as leverage to renegotiate or exit the contract.

Appreciate the actual-legal-knowledge response, thanks.

Seems to boil down to a take-it-or-leave-it proposition for DCI. They have to live with whatever substandard level of service LOS gives them, no matter what LOS might promise in its contract. 

Some deal. Pretty much not worth the paper it's written on. What incentive does LOS have to even turn on the lights?

And if DCI considers itself to be undamaged if its own customers are damaged by the venue's lack of performance, that strikes me as DCI myopia at best, arrogance at worst.

Edited by 2muchcoffeeman
  • Like 1

On 8/14/2022 at 3:15 PM, brassboy said:

I read 20,705 for finals. 

Going back to the original topic:  Do you have a link for this?

I found this in an old DCP thread.  The numbers that I have match the ones posted back then.  Just doing the LOS era.

2009 17,865 Indianapolis, IN
2010 15,765 Indianapolis, IN
2011 17,363 Indianapolis, IN
2012 17,820 Indianapolis, IN
2013 20,381 Indianapolis, IN
2014 21,378 Indianapolis, IN
2015 22,085 Indianapolis, IN
2016 22,200 Indianapolis, IN
2017 23,342 Indianapolis, IN

I found a different count for 2015 -- 24,638 from DCI.

I had thought I found the figures for 2019, but I was on my phone and lost the link.

It'd be nice if DCI would follow other "Major Leagues" and post the attendance along with the "box scores".  (Yeah, I know. They want to get scores out way faster than the final attendance count.)

Anyway -- still looking for confirmation on the 2022 attendance.  Thanks!

2 hours ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

Appreciate the actual-legal-knowledge response, thanks.

Seems to boil down to a take-it-or-leave-it proposition for DCI. They have to live with whatever substandard level of service LOS gives them, no matter what LOS might promise in its contract. 

Some deal. Pretty much not worth the paper it's written on. What incentive does LOS have to even turn on the lights?

And if DCI considers itself to be undamaged if its own customers are damaged by the venue's lack of performance, that strikes me as DCI myopia at best, arrogance at worst.

i read somewhere earlier on social media ( i think Rondo) stated DCI will have a statement about the stadium issues

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

I bought my BIG 3 tickets Thursday at noon.  I must be crazy.  I just keep reminding myself that I really enjoy watching the marching members perform and I want to support them.  

You are not crazy to do this at all. DCI Finals is one-of-a-kind, and I love being there to cheer on the performers and marvel at what they bring us. I am never disappointed by the performances on the field. While today’s performances require us to sometimes say farewell to the old and embrace the old, that is just life and helps keeps us engaged with the present.

If I don’t return, I will really miss it.

As I and those in my group age, we have less resilience in the face of the experience provided by and on behalf of DCI, as mobility and other health issues arise. Worsening venue access and impossibly long concession and restroom lines, as DCI raises prices, is tough to take. On top of that, air travel is such a gamble and will likely remain so. I am also discouraged by poor behavior in the stands - I guess I really am old. 

if we stop going, someone will step up to replace our dollars.

I HIGHLY recommend that someone find a way to get some tech multizillionaires’ kids hooked on DCI and marching - that would be a nice cash pipeline.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lawdn said:

You are not crazy to do this at all. DCI Finals is one-of-a-kind, and I love being there to cheer on the performers and marvel at what they bring us. I am never disappointed by the performances on the field. While today’s performances require us to sometimes say farewell to the old and embrace the old, that is just life and helps keeps us engaged with the present.

If I don’t return, I will really miss it.

As I and those in my group age, we have less resilience in the face of the experience provided by and on behalf of DCI, as mobility and other health issues arise. Worsening venue access and impossibly long concession and restroom lines, as DCI raises prices, is tough to take. On top of that, air travel is such a gamble and will likely remain so. I am also discouraged by poor behavior in the stands - I guess I really am old. 

if we stop going, someone will step up to replace our dollars.

I HIGHLY recommend that someone find a way to get some tech multizillionaires’ kids hooked on DCI and marching - that would be a nice cash pipeline.

I got so lucky, you won’t believe it.  We flew on Allegiant and we all had a good laugh about that, including myself.  But our flight to Cincinnati was only delayed a half hour and the pilot must have put the pedal to the metal because we arrived on time.  Our flight to Punta Gorda yesterday was on time and we had a good tailwind so we got in early. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I got so lucky, you won’t believe it.  We flew on Allegiant and we all had a good laugh about that, including myself.  But our flight to Cincinnati was only delayed a half hour and the pilot must have put the pedal to the metal because we arrived on time.  Our flight to Punta Gorda yesterday was on time and we had a good tailwind so we got in early. 

I was really lucky in my travels, and I am glad you were too. It is just such a roll of the dice traveling for a specific event these days. With insurance, etc., you may get the money back, but not the experience. My partner was unable to join us this year due to unexpected events, and he said he really enjoyed the Flo streaming - thank you Tom Blair and crew.

• Like 1