Madison Scouts 2023

I’ve been sorting photos I’ve taken this past season. When I came across Madison, the uniforms did fit the show well. The white contrasted and highlighted the color guard and was effective. Now, there was a bit of Orange on the uniforms. The orange could have been green and it still would have worked. It also would have seemed a bit more like Madison. 

Madison is so iconic, the non traditional uniforms may have hurt more than help, at least with the traditional audience. However, Madison was well received in Allentown, and Thursday and Friday in Indy, so not everyone hated the uniforms. The test for the future will be how this translates to retaining vets and interest in 2023. I spoke with an alum sitting near me who claimed that there were quite a few inquiries at the souvenir booth about next year. 2022 was more stable than 2018 and 2019, they placed where they should have and a bit better than some predicted earlier in the season. It will be interesting to see what happens next year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

How long do should we give them to get their groove? They generally don't retain senior creative staff for long and I don't think the design team is the issue. I think you know that, too. They've found their niche competitively and will bounce around there if nothing changes in the front office or board room and there aren't new competitive threats that cause them to move down the ladder. Just calling it like I see it. I wish the kids the best. 

i read or heard in a podcast that the design team had been signed to a multi year deal, specifically to give them time to gel

23 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

All I can say is give MS a chance to re-invent itself. I do understand that iconic male corps from Madison. But that is now the past. At least no open corps scored above them this year. 

Just took a quick peak at DCX. When did an Open Class corps place higher than Madison. In 2018 when Madison placed 16th, the highest placing OC corps was SCVC who placed 18th. In 2019, Madison placed 17th, the highest placing OC coros was Spartans at 19th. It may be too close for comfort, but they have placed above the OC corps even in these challenging years.

Edited by Tim K

30 minutes ago, DFA1970 said:

All I can say is give MS a chance to re-invent itself. I do understand that iconic male corps from Madison. But that is now the past. At least no open corps scored above them this year. 

7 minutes ago, Tim K said:

Just took a quick peak at DCX. When did an Open Class corps place higher than Madison. In 2018 when Madison placed 16th, the highest placing OC corps was SCVC who placed 18th. In 2019, Madison placed 17th, the highest placing OC coros was Spartans at 19th. It may be too close for comfort, but they have placed above the OC corps even in these challenging years.

I do wonder if it may be best for them to retire the name Madison Scouts.  The Madison Scouts powerhouse Corps of the 1970s & 80s can live on in Drum Corps Valhalla, along with Anaheim, 27, Bayonne, and far too many others.

Keep the Corps going, continue providing a high-quality  DCI experience to current and future members.  But find a new name for the Corps.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I do wonder if it may be best for them to retire the name Madison Scouts.  The Madison Scouts powerhouse Corps of the 1970s & 80s can live on in Drum Corps Valhalla, along with Anaheim, 27, Bayonne, and far too many others.

Keep the Corps going, continue providing a high-quality  DCI experience to current and future members.  But find a new name for the Corps.

Why? Scouts are male as well as female. Just because some of us are used to something doesn't mean they need to change or not. Personally, I donl't care what Scouts look like or play (although  I have loved the " Iconic and legendary past" ) JUST DO IT WELL!. We can also say retire the Madison part..are their members from Madison? is Boston members actually from Boston. One can nitpick that also if one wanted to. I say corps should be anything THEY want to be JUST DO IT WELL

as " Boston has "

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Can you keep the corps going with a name change? With the corps you mention, they disbanded due to financial issues. We can debate as to whether corps that had as distinct an identity like 27th and Bridgemen, both of whom shared a great deal in common with Madison would fare today, but not changing their show concepts had little to do with their leaving the drum corps arena. I think a better comparison might be to look at Troopers and Crossmen. Troopers did not look like Troopers, at least color scheme wise. Troopers did not sound like Troopers. Yet there was no mistaking we were seeing the Troopers. Crossmen did not look like Crossmen. Musically they sounded similar. The drill was similar. Yet I wondered what I was seeing. Even though the move to Texas was a while back, people associate the corps with  Pennsylvania, Preseason folks were debating whether the Malta Cross made the corps appear to be too religious. They are perfect candidates for a name change, but would that take away recruiting opportunities? For better or worse, Madison should probably leave the name alone. 

• Like 3

If the Madison Scouts name is ever changed from that corps; you might as well scrap almost any hope of them ever making the Top 12, again. In addition, that organization could become a new Pioneer; a struggling Division II corps that's pretending to be World Class. The Madison Scouts name still means something in the drum corps activity and is still attractive to new members; even if they aren't Top 12 recruits. I've mentioned this before; the Madison Scouts have become a caricature of themselves via show design. This was even occurring during their final years as a consistent Saturday night in August finalist. Every aspect of their shows, both musically and visually, was similar in respects to their Latin/Spanish flavored shows and their musical themed shows. The name and the addition of females in the ranks isn't hurting that corps; it's show design, plain and simple. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, GUARDLING said:

Why? Scouts are male as well as female. Just because some of us are used to something doesn't mean they need to change or not. Personally, I donl't care what Scouts look like or play (although  I have loved the " Iconic and legendary past" ) JUST DO IT WELL!. We can also say retire the Madison part..are their members from Madison? is Boston members actually from Boston. One can nitpick that also if one wanted to. I say corps should be anything THEY want to be JUST DO IT WELL

as " Boston has "

19 hours ago, Tim K said:

Can you keep the corps going with a name change? With the corps you mention, they disbanded due to financial issues. We can debate as to whether corps that had as distinct an identity like 27th and Bridgemen, both of whom shared a great deal in common with Madison would fare today, but not changing their show concepts had little to do with their leaving the drum corps arena. I think a better comparison might be to look at Troopers and Crossmen. Troopers did not look like Troopers, at least color scheme wise. Troopers did not sound like Troopers. Yet there was no mistaking we were seeing the Troopers. Crossmen did not look like Crossmen. Musically they sounded similar. The drill was similar. Yet I wondered what I was seeing. Even though the move to Texas was a while back, people associate the corps with  Pennsylvania, Preseason folks were debating whether the Malta Cross made the corps appear to be too religious. They are perfect candidates for a name change, but would that take away recruiting opportunities? For better or worse, Madison should probably leave the name alone. 

Apparently yesterday I was in a grumpy mood; thus I guess my comment is not a good idea.

Thank you for setting me straight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1