Madison Scouts 2023

I don't know too much about Scouts besides "we were sexist but now we're not" and The Heart and Last Man Standing (that's what it's called right? The Mad Max one?). I really like those two shows

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't know too much about Scouts besides "we were sexist but now we're not" and The Heart and Last Man Standing (that's what it's called right? The Mad Max one?). I really like those two shows

you're in the minority on the heart show

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

Lots of great iconic drum corps classics come from Madison. Slaughter on 10th Ave,  Malagueña, Ballet in Brass, MacArthur Park, City of Angels, Malaga, En Fuego, Pirates of Lake Mendota, Jesus Christ Superstar 99, Empire State of Mind, Corps of Brothers.  

Though it’s not as black and white and “we were sexist…”.    All things in the world change. Society, and it’s views, for example.  Many corps started as all male, as well as there were female only corps.  Some corps only allowed women in the guard. Some allowed them in the rest of the corps on paper, but never followed through until they needed the numbers.     

Comparison, the Freemasons, Elks Lodges, Knights of Columbus, Moose lodges, police athletic leagues…etc etc etc.  Have all started as one entity, and most of these have evolved as society has. Some slower than others, one not as much as the others.   Comparing the groups operations of 70 years ago, or even 10 years ago, with 2 years ago doesn’t really work, as society and its collective education, understanding, and values as a whole were very different.  And they evolve.  And I say all these things as an alumni of Madison.  

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

I actually first heard of that show from Drum Corps AF. I was like "the guys hate this, let's check it out and see how bad it was" so i went and watched it and realized "this is kinda cool not gonna lie😳"

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

14 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

#### you both for making me remember that show.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I actually first heard of that show from Drum Corps AF. I was like "the guys hate this, let's check it out and see how bad it was" so i went and watched it and realized "this is kinda cool not gonna lie😳"

well as one of those AFers...we did and do hate it LOL

55 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

#### you both for making me remember that show.

#### them they brought it up LOL

2 hours ago, MikeN said:

Based on the timings posted on Reddit, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one.  😞

Mike

To be fair, that was my general impression.  I have not seen the timings. But, I would be interested to see what those were.