Madison Scouts 2023

No worries - here's the link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/w40a9w/brass_playing_time_2022_and_other_past_shows/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

TL;DR version: this poster stopwatched the shows in 2022, with the rule that 4 brass had to be playing for it to count - solos or duets don't count

Blue Devils - 5:57
Bluecoats - 7:25
Boston Crusaders - 5:48
Carolina Crown - 5:53
Santa Clara Vanguard - 5:40
Cadets - 6:30
Blue Stars -7:22
Phantom Regiment - 7:10
Cavaliers - 6:07
Mandarins - 5:38

For reference:

1984 Cadets - 9:45
1989 SCV - 9:08
1993 Cadets - 9:42
2005 Cadets - 8:05
2008 Phantom - 7:25
2011 Cadets - 7:38
2014 Blue Devils - 7:36
2016 Bluecoats - 6:37
2019 Blue Devils - 4:45

Mike

19 hours ago, MikeN said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/drumcorps/comments/w40a9w/brass_playing_time_2022_and_other_past_shows/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

TL;DR version: this poster stopwatched the shows in 2022, with the rule that 4 brass had to be playing for it to count - solos or duets don't count

Mike

Not picking on BD, just happens to be a video I just watched - lead trumpet soloist cam - plays for maybe 4:00.

20 hours ago, MikeN said:

Bluecoats - 7:25
Boston Crusaders - 5:48
Carolina Crown - 5:53
Santa Clara Vanguard - 5:40
Cadets - 6:30
Blue Stars -7:22
Phantom Regiment - 7:10
Cavaliers - 6:07
Mandarins - 5:38

For reference:

1984 Cadets - 9:45
1989 SCV - 9:08
1993 Cadets - 9:42
2005 Cadets - 8:05
2008 Phantom - 7:25
2011 Cadets - 7:38
2014 Blue Devils - 7:36
2016 Bluecoats - 6:37
2019 Blue Devils - 4:45

Mike

Another topic that went from one place to this. I have no idea what this is referring to.

• 1 month later...

I see the Scouts named Susan Smith brass caption supervisor . . . 

www.forwardperformingarts.org/news/madison-scouts-welcome-susan-smith-as-brass-caption-supervisor 

She appears to be an enigma as far as drum corps goes. What corps has she worked with? What years and what positions? Just wondering.

On 8/28/2022 at 8:59 AM, corps8294 said:

If the Madison Scouts name is ever changed from that corps; you might as well scrap almost any hope of them ever making the Top 12, again. In addition, that organization could become a new Pioneer; a struggling Division II corps that's pretending to be World Class. The Madison Scouts name still means something in the drum corps activity and is still attractive to new members; even if they aren't Top 12 recruits. I've mentioned this before; the Madison Scouts have become a caricature of themselves via show design. This was even occurring during their final years as a consistent Saturday night in August finalist. Every aspect of their shows, both musically and visually, was similar in respects to their Latin/Spanish flavored shows and their musical themed shows. The name and the addition of females in the ranks isn't hurting that corps; it's show design, plain and simple. 

100% spot on. 

On 8/29/2022 at 7:23 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't know too much about Scouts besides "we were sexist but now we're not" and The Heart and Last Man Standing (that's what it's called right? The Mad Max one?). I really like those two shows

i really loved that heart show also, still do

On 8/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't know too much about Scouts besides "we were sexist but now we're not" and The Heart and Last Man Standing (that's what it's called right? The Mad Max one?). I really like those two shows

The Mad Max show had a lot of cool ideas, but it was hampered by pacing and a color palate that would have been better on a winter guard/winter drumline tarp.

The heart show had a moment where the blue flags were swapped behind the prop to red and I don't know if they got recognition for that on an intellectual level.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

I see the Scouts named Susan Smith brass caption supervisor . . . 

www.forwardperformingarts.org/news/madison-scouts-welcome-susan-smith-as-brass-caption-supervisor 

She appears to be an enigma as far as drum corps goes. What corps has she worked with? What years and what positions? Just wondering.

Good get - she's got a resume a mile long, and involving actual teaching as well.  On the corps side, she's been a DCI judge as well as a creative consultant and tour director.  (And not that she needs it at *all*, but she's the wife of DCI Hall of Famer Robert W Smith.)

https://www.troy.edu/academics/colleges-schools/college-communication-fine-arts/departments/john-m-long-school-music/faculty-staff.html

Mike