Madison Scouts 2023

6 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

The Mad Max show had a lot of cool ideas, but it was hampered by pacing and a color palate that would have been better on a winter guard/winter drumline tarp.

The heart show had a moment where the blue flags were swapped behind the prop to red and I don't know if they got recognition for that on an intellectual level.

That palate worked well for music city mystique the previous winter

• Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 9:23 PM, Orwellian Wiress said:

I don't know too much about Scouts besides "we were sexist but now we're not."

Is this meant to be a back handed insult? If I were an alumnus, it would be to me. Do you know what sexist means? 

The Scouts are gone. I don't mean the all-male corps, but the corps known as the Scouts. 

I expect we respectfully disagree about all of this, and that's fine. 

Edited by madisonsmiley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, madisonsmiley said:

Is this meant to be a back handed insult? If I were an alumnus, it would be to me. Do you know what sexist means? 

The Scouts are gone. I don't mean the all-male corps, but the corps known as the Scouts. 

I expect we respectfully disagree about all of this, and that's fine. 

I believe Orwellian Wiress was referencing the often heated discourse around the Scouts as they were deciding to become co-ed.

I'm an alum. A former student is on staff. Another former student was among the first women on the field last year. I'm not insulted, and they are still the Scouts to me.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, contraguard05 said:

I believe Orwellian Wiress was referencing the often heated discourse around the Scouts as they were deciding to become co-ed.

I'm an alum. A former student is on staff. Another former student was among the first women on the field last year. I'm not insulted, and they are still the Scouts to me.

A long time ago in a galaxy far,far away...another legendary all-male drum corps went through the transition to co-ed. There was significant resistance from alumni, but that move was a major factor in re-invigorating the Garfield Cadets who subsequently went on to renewed prominence in the activity.

At this point, even the "old timers" are on board.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, ironlips said:

A long time ago in a galaxy far,far away...another legendary all-male drum corps went through the transition to co-ed. There was significant resistance from alumni, but that move was a major factor in re-invigorating the Garfield Cadets who subsequently went on to renewed prominence in the activity.

Just to stir it up- the Hopacypse probably wouldn’t have happened (at least not with him as antagonist) had they stayed all-male.  😎

21 hours ago, contraguard05 said:

50 minutes ago, scheherazadesghost said:

This is all that really matters right here. :babies:

I've had college buddies that marched & have been on staff.  Also had two former students march.  They basically all seem to feel the same; they initially had drawbacks at the change & miss the old "tradition".  (Tradition for tradition's sake.) But they also want to see the organization succeed & retain that 'ole Madison "Swagger".  They showed it this past summer.  I think you're about to witness them return to 'greatness'. Go Madison!

:babies:   

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, keystone3ply said:

I've had college buddies that marched & have been on staff.  Also had two former students march.  They basically all seem to feel the same; they initially had drawbacks at the change & miss the old "tradition".  (Tradition for tradition sake.) But they also want to see the organization succeed & retain that 'ole Madison "Swagger".  They showed it this past summer.  I think you're about to witness them return to 'greatness'. Go Madison!

:babies:   

Not all shows capture me in the moments after the corps sets up and before they start. Madison 22 grabbed my heart then, and I'm pretty sure I teared up in the first movement. What a breath of fresh air this season's show was. I'm glad you're stoked for the future members and I can't wait to see what they come up with. :babies:

I know tradition for tradition's sake like the back of my hand, so it's probably pretty clear how I feel about it. Onward and upward!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, ironlips said:

The issue I was speaking to is the claim the Scouts were sexist before going coed. It wasn't about whether or not going coed was good for the corps or if it was the right thing to do.

Edited by madisonsmiley
Clarification