Madison Scouts 2023

I'm a Scouts alum and they are definitely still the Scouts to me. I feel the same pride now that I did when I marched. Time change, organizations change, attitudes evolve. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, scheherazadesghost said:

Not all shows capture me in the moments after the corps sets up and before they start. Madison 22 grabbed my heart then, and I'm pretty sure I teared up in the first movement. What a breath of fresh air this season's show was. I'm glad you're stoked for the future members and I can't wait to see what they come up with. :babies:

I know tradition for tradition's sake like the back of my hand, so it's probably pretty clear how I feel about it. Onward and upward!

I can appreciate that you liked the Scout’s 2022 show.  I thought that they executed and performed it well; but that it put little demand on the members.  If they want to place higher, they need more demand in both music and visual.  Just my $0.02.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

I can appreciate that you liked the Scout’s 2022 show.  I thought that they executed and performed it well; but that it put little demand on the members.  If they want to place higher, they need more demand in both music and visual.  Just my $0.02.  

I thought from the beginning of the season that SC's and Madison's shows were twins that reflected back to us a softer, more graceful side of this moment in our zeitgeist. They made an art that reminded us it's okay to just be delightful and effervescent. What a blessing in these trying times. ((HYUP! Just watched that closer again and got chills. Thanks Madison 22!))

I have a hunch that both corps' staffs gauged who showed up and designed shows that spoke to the average talent level. While some might call that "playing it safe" in the design, I say, in the first season after pandemic breaks, it's okay to throw the members a softball that they can knock out of the park. That's what it did for me anyway, but I'm not an alum. I'd much rather this be the case than staffs choosing to push the members too early. And... this is especially true when one stroke of bad luck takes out vast swaths of the membership from exposure. Pandemic aside, it's the difference between a building season and a competitive season. I marched both types and there's just a different something in the air, right?

Who knows what happened, but that's my intuition in both cases. In SC's case, how much more could they push the members this season when the started it with a major staff change? Those situations behind the scenes also matter when designing and guiding members to execute.

On 10/15/2022 at 6:06 PM, IllianaLancerContra said:

i enjoyed the performance as well, but the material left me a little flat. not that i wanted the 10th variation on 1995, but i was hoping for more

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

i enjoyed the performance as well, but the material left me a little flat. not that i wanted the 10th variation on 1995, but i was hoping for more

I think they played the hand they were dealt 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

You say "not that i wanted the 10th variation on 1995..." like it would be a bad thing.  😀

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
more better english & speling
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You say "not that i wanted the 10th variation on 1995..." like it would be a bad thing.  😀

There's no shortage of contemporary material that could deliver that same kind of fire. Whenever they did music from Ainadamar, I was REALLY hoping they would do the opening of Act 1:

On 10/15/2022 at 5:58 PM, Mad Mello said:

I'm a Scouts alum and they are definitely still the Scouts to me. I feel the same pride now that I did when I marched. Time change, organizations change, attitudes evolve. Can't wait to see what the future holds.

Each to his own.  

2 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

it would be unless arranged in a way so fresh and new no one compared it to 1995. look at JCS2...all everyone did was compare it to 1999. SCV 14 compared to 04....even when Cadets brought part of App Spring back that year everyone immediately compared it to 1987.

• Thanks 1