Madison Scouts 2023

24 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

it would be unless arranged in a way so fresh and new no one compared it to 1995. look at JCS2...all everyone did was compare it to 1999. SCV 14 compared to 04....even when Cadets brought part of App Spring back that year everyone immediately compared it to 1987.

With all the technology and instrumentation available today, plus the larger membership numbers I suspect the Madison design team could design a fresh and exciting show based on 1996-style music. If they wanted to, that is.  

9 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

With all the technology and instrumentation available today, plus the larger membership numbers I suspect the Madison design team could design a fresh and exciting show based on 1996-style music. If they wanted to, that is.  

style music would be good. same music eh

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

style music would be good. same music eh

They could announce it as the Cab-ison Scouts

3 hours ago, Jurassic Lancer said:

They could announce it as the Cab-ison Scouts

well the Cabs have definitely strayed from all Latin all the time

• 2 weeks later...

It's really a shame that there is so much division within the Madison Alumni.  United they are massive and could delivery so much support and momentum for the corps.  Times change, get over it.  And they've doubled their possible recruiting pool.  The analogy with Cadets was great above.  Wouldn't you rather have a thriving Scouts corps with the Madison culture, regardless of what sex the members are?  Or do you want to live in the past and be negative, toxic and unsupportive of a corps that you proclaim to love?  

The attitude and behavior of some of the Scouts alums reminds me of the #### show that is Auburn (and to a lesser degree Texas) where high roller alums feud and try to control rather than support their university.  

Note, I'm not making this a personal rant against any individual - just an observation from watching all the vitriol amongst Scout threads.  Phantom almost imploded from somewhat similar negativity and clinging to the past - which hurt them financially and led to the loss of an all star design team in the late 2000s.  Thank goodness people came to their senses after 2019 and realized things had to change, and change now.  It seems to me that a healthy, competitive entertaining Scouts that retains a great membership culture would matter far MORE than all the tradition bull crap.  They can still be the Madison Scouts, with a fiery brand of entertainment regardless of the minutia people are hung up on.  One of my closest Drum Corps friend's son marched Madison this past summer and immensely enjoyed the experience.

The activity NEEDS Madison to be relevant and entertaining and competitive again.  And the org needs the alumni to set aside their differences and positively support the corps.  Those who can't should just go away.  I'm rooting for them.  Go Scouts!

Harvey

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

23 hours ago, TexasPRfan said:

It's really a shame that there is so much division within the Madison Alumni…. And the org needs the alumni to set aside their differences and positively support the corps.  Those who can't should just go away.  I'm rooting for them.  Go Scouts!

Harvey

Old habits die hard from some old balls who can’t let go of the only thing cool they’ve ever done in life. This is their one shining moment and the hill they’ve repeatedly shown they’ll die on.  They’re not cool enough in life to find other great successes so they hold onto this like it’s a lifeline. This was the only thing some of them had as an identity. Their “4-touchdown Al Bundy moment”

it’s male fragility at its worst. 

Hindsight, it’s caused some younger alumni to come forth, sharpening their poking sticks in defense for new members and methods of operations. The corps now has one of the best retention rates due to the experience they provide and the inclusive policy has permeated into the rest of the org.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

11 hours ago, C.Holland said:

Old habits die hard from some old balls who can’t let go of the only thing cool they’ve ever done in life. This is their one shining moment and the hill they’ve repeatedly shown they’ll die on.  They’re not cool enough in life to find other great successes so they hold onto this like it’s a lifeline. This was the only thing some of them had as an identity. Their “4-touchdown Al Bundy moment”

it’s male fragility at its worst. 

Hindsight, it’s caused some younger alumni to come forth, sharpening their poking sticks in defense for new members and methods of operations. The corps now has one of the best retention rates due to the experience they provide and the inclusive policy has permeated into the rest of the org.  

This is spot on. I would also add that I think for some, having been a Madison Scout is their entire identity, so they take everything personally when things don’t go their way. I’ve had moments in the past where I have felt like that. What changed it for me was the realization that once I stepped off that field for the last time, it was no longer about me or how I think things should be. It’s about the members and staff that are there NOW! How can I do my part as an alum to help ensure that all of them have an amazing life changing experience that I had 30 some years ago? Some of it is moral support and enthusiasm, some financial, but most importantly, it’s showing solidarity to the organization as it goes through changes and challenges…and giving this staff/administration a vote of trust and confidence that they are doing what needs to be done. Will they make mistakes, probably, but I have faith that people learn and grow that way. Sorry if this is long winded, but I thought I’d throw in my two cents

• Like 5

13 hours ago, ComicJeff2012 said:

This is spot on. I would also add that I think for some, having been a Madison Scout is their entire identity, so they take everything personally when things don’t go their way. I’ve had moments in the past where I have felt like that. What changed it for me was the realization that once I stepped off that field for the last time, it was no longer about me or how I think things should be. It’s about the members and staff that are there NOW! How can I do my part as an alum to help ensure that all of them have an amazing life changing experience that I had 30 some years ago? Some of it is moral support and enthusiasm, some financial, but most importantly, it’s showing solidarity to the organization as it goes through changes and challenges…and giving this staff/administration a vote of trust and confidence that they are doing what needs to be done. Will they make mistakes, probably, but I have faith that people learn and grow that way. Sorry if this is long winded, but I thought I’d throw in my two cents

Thanks. 

as an alumni it’s not about us.  It’s about us supporting people on the field.

that’s it.    

• Like 3

Well said, Comic & Holland!!!

• Like 2