Madison Scouts 2023

On 12/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, Mello Dude said:

"I" pointed out to that specific fact that is very relevant to forums and how it relates to a qualified opinion.  This is nothing new on the internet.  It still doesn't negate the fact that there is nothing wrong for Madison to be Madison or "DO" Madison stuff.  Modern takes on greatest hits done well...sounds like a win win to me.

Well they’ve not had success going that route since a decade ago. 

3 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Jeff makes the good point that last year's design team headed Scouts in a more contemporary direction. I wonder what Boerma's appointment will do to this direction. Have they given up on that tack or will Boerma be forced to bend to the direction they charted?

He’s talented enough to do both. But it depends on the other pieces of the puzzle too

• Like 1

8 hours ago, musicteacher said:

Jeff makes the good point that last year's design team headed Scouts in a more contemporary direction. I wonder what Boerma's appointment will do to this direction. Have they given up on that tack or will Boerma be forced to bend to the direction they charted?

Program coordinators create the show, the design team adds pieces to the idea. But the buck doesn’t stop at Boerma. It stops at Jason Robb. He’s the show creator. 

12 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

Well they’ve not had success going that route since a decade ago. 

You do realize they were a finalist corps in 2017 right?

6 hours ago, Mello Dude said:

You do realize they were a finalist corps in 2017 right?

Yes and they didn’t play Madison’s greatest hits. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, musicteacher said:

Touche.

And the lack of success after has been discussed to death on here for after for all of the reasons real and imagined. I still in my heart believe trying to do JCS again and it not being nearly as good as 99 was a huge issue that led to what came after

• Like 2

Boerma's second stint there is interesting in that he started with a good Madison-style show that wasn't a "greatest hits" endeavor, "78th and Madison." But, followed it up with the disappointing "Superstar" re-do and the meh "Heart and Soul." The last of these, with very contemporary literature, seems more of a failure of concept than writing.

Whatever program direction they travel, the nuts and bolts of the brass writing will be a marked upgrade over what Daniel Montoya brought to the table.