Prop safety OSHA Certified

1 hour ago, BlueStainGlass said:

SCV definitely cheated the rule by having them climb inside of it.

First time I watched Babylon on YouTube I was so scared someone was gonna get hurt throughout the whole show. It looked dangerous but the visual magic was freakin' worth it though.

Edited by Orwellian Wiress

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

WGI judges take this very seriously. I had to take a tape measure to our prop to show under 6 feet because even in set up and take down you HAVE to be harnessed until under that 6ft. It took a while but we killed the set up and take down of a scaffolding 

i saw a band get penalized in a local circuit because the podium just over 6 feet and no railing. a few times when i chief judged, i walked out to inspect  stuff. as i am 6'3, if the podium was even with my mouth and no railing, i had to hit groups. i saw it happened at other shows for props.

• Like 1

I love moments in DCI where people jump off of stuff. It just completely turns off my musically analytical brain and just makes me go "WHOOOOOA". If anyone's super into the technical drum corps stuff, was the closer of Tilt a violation/penalty? I feel like if a band can get penalized for tall props they would definitely get penalized for a man running and jumping off a small thin ramp, being caught by a group of people that fell down along with him at the end.

4 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

WGI judges take this very seriously. I had to take a tape measure to our prop to show under 6 feet because even in set up and take down you HAVE to be harnessed until under that 6ft. It took a while but we killed the set up and take down of a scaffolding 

Do remember, this is a side affect of a few venues requiring it.  There are schools who don’t let students into their catwalks overstage (and these are safer than anywhere on the deck usually) or on a ladder over 8’ tall. And it’s because some kid got hurt and school went to court over it.  So they apply this to all grounds.  Even some colleges have this now. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I love moments in DCI where people jump off of stuff. It just completely turns off my musically analytical brain and just makes me go "WHOOOOOA". If anyone's super into the technical drum corps stuff, was the closer of Tilt a violation/penalty? I feel like if a band can get penalized for tall props they would definitely get penalized for a man running and jumping off a small thin ramp, being caught by a group of people that fell down along with him at the end.

Choreography fixes a lot of this. It starts small, and gets easier over practice. As it gets easier you increase the distance from 3 feet, to 5, to 8.   Wrestling, cirque, ballet, all do it this way. 

1 hour ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

I find myself once again compelled to post.

The first show with "jumping off things" as a design element was 2006 Cadets. We had pink benches that were held up in an angle by a member, and other members ran up them to dive/flip into the arms of a squad of others. The relevant part starts around 6:50 into this video:

How did we work it out? Trial and error. Many heads, faces etc. hit the ground, the benches, etc. Total disregard for member safety and quality of experience. Look at the guard performer's face around 7:06 in the video. That's pure fear.

The visual staff quit Cadets around 2012 and went to Bluecoats...

Edited by FTNK
  • Thanks 1

I thought it was great when SOA had their members wear hard hats when assembling their props.  The 2021 "Bottle Tree" props maybe? I think they also wore white jumpsuits?  (Or I might be confused.) Anyway, they looked like they worked in a nuclear facility.     

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, keystone3ply said:

I thought it was great when SOA had their members wear hard hats when assembling their props.  The 2021 "Bottle Tree" props maybe? I think they also wore white jumpsuits?  (Or I might be confused.) Anyway, they looked like they worked in a nuclear facility.     

I saw Bluecoats members wearing hard hats assembling the jagged line stage when I was in LaCrosse in 2017.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

The DCI rulebook linked above shows a January 2019 approval date for the "current" Props section. You would have to see the 2014 Prop section to know. That is, if a Props section even existed in 2014. If I am remembering correctly, the WGI prop height rules were established around 2017'ish.