Prop safety OSHA Certified

13 hours ago, Orwellian Wiress said:

that's really adorable. a sentient drum corps prop, i love it

the facebook page for the prop is a riot

22 hours ago, FTNK said:

the plywood deck of Troopers' oil derrick is only 3/8" according to its FB ad, @C.Holland you mentioned being concerned about 1/2"

297335575_104545055693383_58565353654197

ugh.  

without going into too much detail, the load rating on 1/2" ply barely meets what i would consider an acceptable safety factor for someone to just sit on a surface using it.  (no jumping, no dance...) so we don't really use it for surfaces because you can't guarantee a performer won't do that.  This is also requiring that there's a support beam every 16" maximum on center under it.   

Food for thought, a performer simply landing from 3' height (via natural gravity straight down)  can impact 4x-6x their weight. Often more depending on choreography. 

Some maths to put you to sleep. A 180lb performer will equal at least 720lb-1080lb at impact.  No you can't split the weight between 2 feet because nothing ever lands perfectly plumb.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 8/15/2022 at 11:53 PM, FTNK said:

I find myself once again compelled to post.

The first show with "jumping off things" as a design element was 2006 Cadets. We had pink benches that were held up in an angle by a member, and other members ran up them to dive/flip into the arms of a squad of others. The relevant part starts around 6:50 into this video:

How did we work it out? Trial and error. Many heads, faces etc. hit the ground, the benches, etc. Total disregard for member safety and quality of experience. Look at the guard performer's face around 7:06 in the video. That's pure fear.

The visual staff quit Cadets around 2012 and went to Bluecoats...

I slowed the video to half speed to watch a drill move I’ve always loved…then proceeded to watch the rest of the show like that. Not recommended. Sounded like a horror movie soundtrack and looked trippier than Bloo’22.

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, arabica said:

I slowed the video to half speed to watch a drill move I’ve always loved…then proceeded to watch the rest of the show like that. Not recommended. Sounded like a horror movie soundtrack and looked trippier than Bloo’22.

i love the horror genre, works for me. sending this to the bluecoats director:sarcasm:

I would like to point out that DCI/Flomarching production team made it a point to focus on the Trooper cello young lady's back... complete with all the harnesses, etc.  🙂 

Well played.  Very politik, if done on purpose.  

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, arabica said:

So.... Bloo 22 is... The Zone, Part 3? 😄

I'm down!

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, C.Holland said:

ugh.  

without going into too much detail, the load rating on 1/2" ply barely meets what i would consider an acceptable safety factor for someone to just sit on a surface using it.  (no jumping, no dance...) so we don't really use it for surfaces because you can't guarantee a performer won't do that.  This is also requiring that there's a support beam every 16" maximum on center under it.   

Food for thought, a performer simply landing from 3' height (via natural gravity straight down)  can impact 4x-6x their weight. Often more depending on choreography. 

Some maths to put you to sleep. A 180lb performer will equal at least 720lb-1080lb at impact.  No you can't split the weight between 2 feet because nothing ever lands perfectly plumb.  

You're correct about 1/2 inch ply.  I wonder if there was there metal bracing under the plywood?  That would stiffen it up a good bit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

You're correct about 1/2 inch ply.  I wonder if there was there metal bracing under the plywood?  That would stiffen it up a good bit

there has to be for 3/8" or it bends stepping on it.   It would have to be on 4"-6" centers for it to be almost rigid enough to stand on.  And then the ply is doing very little, and the frame is doing all the work.    Am I wrong in wanting people to build stuff to proper tolerances?

Edited by C.Holland
  • Like 3

36 minutes ago, C.Holland said:

there has to be for 3/8" or it bends stepping on it.   It would have to be on 4"-6" centers for it to be almost rigid enough to stand on.  And then the ply is doing very little, and the frame is doing all the work.    Am I wrong in wanting people to build stuff to proper tolerances?

Even so, the derrick seemed far more sturdy than the props SCV were using.  I was holding my breath every time they were climbing on them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1