Prop safety OSHA Certified

8 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Agree.

If I can see visible deflection of a platform through the Flo High Cam, I can tell you it’s not built to hold even 1.5x a performers weight. Which is not passable for any venue in America, at any level of theatre. 

Speaking of props, all you out there reading along. If the manufacturer does not list either a Max Load per sq ft, or a maximum capacity per unit…. Don’t buy from them.   There are many who don’t list the components of their set pieces and wagons.  Opting for “durable steel construction” or “rugged metal frame” instead.   These words don’t equal showing you the math. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

How long have drum corps been using props? And this subject comes up NOW? 

We had a guard house in the middle of the field in 1978.  That was a prop.  You can’t call it anything else. 3:00 mark.  https://fb.watch/f0xSmTr7vt/

Theres a maypole, too.  That would probably be a prop, too.  SCV had one, too, in concert. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Seneca Optimists had the big parachute in 1977.  Kind of like what Crown had only no people sticking out of it. I don’t know if that counts as a prop. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s like when they put up a new stoplight at an intersection.  They wait until someone gets killed in a car accident before they do anything.

Absolutely correct. People tend to be reactive rather than proactive. Proactive approaches often cause pushback and people (companies especially) don't what to "create a problem that isn't there" YET. That's the key..."YET." 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

We had a guard house in the middle of the field in 1978.  That was a prop.  You can’t call it anything else. 3:00 mark.  https://fb.watch/f0xSmTr7vt/

OMG Busbee's! This made me smile WAY too much for 8am on  Saturday at work LOL. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Weaklefthand4ever said:

OMG Busbee's! This made me smile WAY too much for 8am on  Saturday at work LOL. 

I can’t watch it.  It ticked so bad in concert on that cold attack.

What amazes me in reading the comments on the Facebook page. We had fans that said things like I memorized every note of that show.  I have a hard time wrapping my head around how much people liked that hornline. 

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Tony Flores said:

IMHO, rules were not enforced...prop rules, timing rules were laxly enforced

Agreed. I also do not understand why in the world you would make a rule in which the people creating the prop (most likely what are referred to in this document as "lay people") are no different than the people inspecting the prop for safety throughout the season. If you didn't know how to build it safety standards, then how in the world is you then inspecting it going to change anything? 

Also, is the event coordinator / contest director trained to realistically inspect these props? It's not ALL about being 6+ feet. There are more safety issues to props than height. I know corps cannot afford necessarily afford someone in the stage/movie arena to design props. But I also would NOT trust myself to design a prop either and have it be safe. He*& I hurt myself rolling out of bed some mornings.  

6 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

More to the point how long have corps been using props they stand or sit on. And yes, this should have been fully worked out from the start.

9 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

More to the point how long have corps been using props they stand or sit on. And yes, this should have been fully worked out from the start.

Someone cut off the end of their finger on the maypole in 1978.  Not during a show but at rehearsal.