Prop safety OSHA Certified

1 hour ago, C.Holland said:

Am I wrong in wanting people to build stuff to proper tolerances?

You're dead on.

The thing is, who is going to make that rule ,and then enforce it ?

Its obvious, under its current mindset ,(see no evil . . .) it won't be DCI, at least not in its current promulgation.

As has been pointed out previously in this thread ,DCI doesn't even enforce existing rules on things like props. 

Even last year's Covid rules weren't anything more then "recommendations"/guidelines.

If that wasn't a time for DCI to be given the authority to make/enforce rules, I don't think they (the corps) ever will.

I've said it before, drum corps needs a true regulatory body.

Not just people who schedule and attempt to run contests.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

You're dead on.

Its obvious, under its current mindset ,(see no evil . . .) it won't be DCI, at least not in its current promulgation.

As has been pointed out previously in this thread ,DCI doesn't even enforce existing rules on things like props. 

Even last year's Covid rules weren't anything more then "recommendations"/guidelines.

If that wasn't a time for DCI to be given the authority to make/enforce rules, I don't think they (the corps) ever will.

It’s like when they put up a new stoplight at an intersection.  They wait until someone gets killed in a car accident before they do anything.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

You're dead on.

In my experience, rules often are made following some sort of incident, as a means to prevent further such incidents.  Although DCI = The Corps ($0.02 to Jeff) should put some enforceable rules in place before someone gets hurt, I'm not holding my breath expecting this to happen

The rule could be, 'If props that people climb on don't meet X,Y, & Z standards, then the Corps is not allowed to use them on the field.'  The question is, what are the X,Y & Z standards used?  Perhaps start with the WGI rules on props, & modify as necessary in the future.  There will always be a possibility of a prop accident where someone gets hurt.  But for now DCI seems like they want to ignore the possibility.

What is is going to happen if there is an accident, personal injury attorneys get involved, and, by performing due diligence, find this discussion thread?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

It’s like when they put up a new stoplight at an intersection.  They wait until someone gets killed in a car accident before they do anything.

We did this in the USAF all the time - X happens so we institute an anti-X rule (example: Motorcycle safety was a hot topic for a while.  Take a 19yr-old and a put him on a 90hp crotch-rocket. What could possibly go wrong?).  It would, however, get interesting when the rule caused problems in an alternate universe we only vaguely knew existed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In my experience, rules often are made following some sort of incident, as a means to prevent further such incidents.  Although DCI = The Corps ($0.02 to Jeff) should put some enforceable rules in place before someone gets hurt, I'm not holding my breath expecting this to happen

The rule could be, 'If props that people climb on don't meet X,Y, & Z standards, then the Corps is not allowed to use them on the field.'  The question is, what are the X,Y & Z standards used?  Perhaps start with the WGI rules on props, & modify as necessary in the future.  There will always be a possibility of a prop accident where someone gets hurt.  But for now DCI seems like they want to ignore the possibility.

What is is going to happen if there is an accident, personal injury attorneys get involved, and, by performing due diligence, find this discussion thread?

there is already rules in place, they are defined in Policy 526 (page 132) here: http://publications.dci.org/books/mkpd/

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

there is already rules in place, they are defined in Policy 526 (page 132) here: http://publications.dci.org/books/mkpd/

It would seem to my that SCV's props were >6 feet off ground, with no railings.  And it says contest director should enforce the rule (basically what I said above).  

It doesn't seem that this is taken seriously by DCI.  Which Contest Director and/or Corps Director wants to be deposed on this topic after an accident?

1 minute ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

It would seem to my that SCV's props were >6 feet off ground, with no railings.  And it says contest director should enforce the rule (basically what I said above).  

It doesn't seem that this is taken seriously by DCI.  Which Contest Director and/or Corps Director wants to be deposed on this topic after an accident?

IMHO, rules were not enforced...prop rules, timing rules were laxly enforced

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tony Flores said:

I've read DCI's Policy and Procedure Manual .

I wonder how many corps directors and staff have ?

DCI loves things like "Subject to" .

Under "Maintenance"  it talks about a  "daily inspection by a lay person".

Define "lay" ?

It also doesn't mention having to keep a record of "who, what when" with inspections.

Those should be kept, and provided to DCI regularly ,during the tour.

Of course, then they may have to read them.

Approved prop designs should also be provided to DCI before the season, along with a

record of any repairs.

DCI  "strongly recommends" engaging an expert.

Like corps are following  that recommendation.

It also says props are "subject to inspection by DCI at any time".

Anyone here  ever seen DCI do this.

And if they have, what were the person's expertise.

It also talks about "enforcement".

But has any one here ever seen anyone a "contest director" or DCI appointee even look at, let alone prohibit a prop.

Again, DCI wants no part in enforcing it own rules.

DCI should have a representative at every show checking props.

They don't meet the rules, the corps can't use it/them.

Of course I also believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

When it comes to props, the Manual seems more of a "CYA" document in case there's a law suit.

Nothing more.

• Like 1

In theatre the fire Marshall has to sign off on sets and audience layouts, egress, and suppression systems before allowing a permit for use of the space.  

the Tech Director of a company is often required to inspect the build of platforms and scenery to a certain deflection. The head carpenter is the one doing the work, and creating the shop drawings.  Which the build to meet certain requirements is so common most can look under it and see if it’s right or wrong immediately. 

my guess is if DCI can’t get staff trained to triage traffic flow and the door  certainly don’t have someone who can inspect scenery.