How many vets are going to leave their currant Corps to go to BD

Probably no more than any other year. Depends on the number of age outs and open spaces. I’m not sure people flock to Blue Devils as much as people claim.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Onionhead2 said:

What if there was a rookie rule, where each core has to march a set number of rookies ?

So if a corps has a high percentage of returning vets and not enough rookie spots according to the rule, does that mean they have to turn away vets in order to fulfill the rookie rule?

• Thanks 2

Mine marched five summers, five different corps. She wanted to learn as much as she could, and as her ability progressed, she wanted that next level teaching. She did age out with BD because she wanted to experience that type of instruction as well. She has loved her time at each of her corps. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I will say this though about the Blue Devils.  

They posted a group picture of their 2022 Instruction Staff at Indianapolis.  I counted 66 people.  We won the first DCI with only 48 horns and never had more than 50.

Not a knock on BD as I like them, always have.  Just find the number of instructional staff in modern Drum Corps incredible.  

Keep in mind that 66 people may 1) include support staff like cooks and drivers -- people equally important to the success of the corps as any Wayne Downey or ScoJo -- or 2) a lot of those staff may be techs who float in and out during the season, not full-timers like Meehan, Glyde, or ScoJo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Keep in mind that 66 people may 1) include support staff like cooks and drivers -- people equally important to the success of the corps as any Wayne Downey or ScoJo -- or 2) a lot of those staff may be techs who float in and out during the season, not full-timers like Meehan, Glyde, or ScoJo.

Speaking of Meehan-was he around at all this year? I did not even see him at Finals.

8 minutes ago, 84BDsop said:

Sam-who does most/all of the music arranging for the Brass.......is it Dave Glyde.

1 hour ago, Tim K said:

So if a corps has a high percentage of returning vets and not enough rookie spots according to the rule, does that mean they have to turn away vets in order to fulfill the rookie rule?

Could you imagine an up and coming corps who breaks into the top five or top three for the first time ever, has momentum going into the following season to make a run at the title, then has to turn away a majority of their returning vets to meet the rookie standard? Talk about a backfire to that rule.