How many vets are going to leave their currant Corps to go to BD

5 hours ago, Onionhead2 said:

How many marchers learn their craft elsewhere, then march their final yr/yrs at BD. Have they leveraged their success to creat an unfair advantage ?

some will. some won't. same as every year. Plus BD was younger than usual this year, so who knows how many of those kids plan on going back

• Like 1

3 hours ago, greg_orangecounty said:

I will say this though about the Blue Devils.  

They posted a group picture of their 2022 Instruction Staff at Indianapolis.  I counted 66 people.  We won the first DCI with only 48 horns and never had more than 50.

Not a knock on BD as I like them, always have.  Just find the number of instructional staff in modern Drum Corps incredible.  

yes, but now all of them are on tour all day every day. some are in for a week and out. some for spring training. some at the end. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

some will. some won't. same as every year. Plus BD was younger than usual this year, so who knows how many of those kids plan on going back

Winning a ring would certainly be a draw if I was one of them.  Just imagine how strong that group will be in their ageout year...84 to 87 SCVers on steroids.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Onionhead2 said:

What if there was a rookie rule, where each core has to march a set number of rookies ?

I'd be more inclined to go the way of the Barbershop Harmony Society Championships (yes, it's a real thing, and it's pretty impressive) and permit the previous year's champion to perform in exhibition only.  That would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, LoveKathyG said:

I'd be more inclined to go the way of the Barbershop Harmony Society Championships (yes, it's a real thing, and it's pretty impressive) and permit the previous year's champion to perform in exhibition only.  That would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

Barbershop Harmony Society contest rules do not permit any chorus to compete again for two years after winning an International Chorus Championship, so no chorus can win twice less than three years apart. 

Individual quartets can win only once, then they're done.

As an interesting tangent....watch the winning run by the 2009 Ambassadors of Harmony when they won with "76 Trombones," specifically starting at 3:14.  

See a corps influence?   One of the members played tenors for BD in 1980.

Some good stuff in here....I was not able to see if the "bugles" were 2 valved or not, tho.

Plus, it's a #### fine arrangement.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Onionhead2 said:

How many marchers learn their craft elsewhere, then march their final yr/yrs at BD. Have they leveraged their success to creat an unfair advantage ?

I assume you are just referring to moving from another WC Corps to BD?  As opposed to moving from an OC to BD, which I think is perfectly normal and expected. Somebody has to teach the younger and less experienced folks. Corps where you audition not to compete for a place in the Corps, but to establish your baseline experience so you can best be taught.  I think it's great that I've seen dozens of veterans from our little OC Corps move into Top 12 WC Corps, including BD during their later years. Do we miss the fact that our most talented often move on...well sure.  But I'd like to think that when we see the excellence of BD and other Top WC organizations that we actually had a hand in preparing them for that. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, kkrepps said:

I assume you are just referring to moving from another WC Corps to BD?  As opposed to moving from an OC to BD, which I think is perfectly normal and expected. Somebody has to teach the younger and less experienced folks. Corps where you audition not to compete for a place in the Corps, but to establish your baseline experience so you can best be taught.  I think it's great that I've seen dozens of veterans from our little OC Corps move into Top 12 WC Corps, including BD during their later years. Do we miss the fact that our most talented often move on...well sure.  But I'd like to think that when we see the excellence of BD and other Top WC organizations that we actually had a hand in preparing them for that. 

Great point. I was watching a video yesterday from BD featuring a trumpet cam (go pro). Please understand, I mean no disrespect to this member whatsoever-he played his part perfectly, but any trumpet player in our activity could have PLAYED that 3rd trumpet part. Now, could they have marched and bought in to the BD program-possibly not without some experience.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       I guess more than anything it just surprised me to hear a 3rd trumpet part after seeing and hearing so many videos of top trumpets and soloists. Again, this person played it perfectly which is all the staff was asking when it came to their playing. But it was not hard at all, or very high.