How many vets are going to leave their currant Corps to go to BD

1 hour ago, lyndakay27 said:

I believe there are only two snare age outs, four in quads, two bass. 

so really only tenors will be new faces to the family

On 8/15/2022 at 9:09 PM, NakedEye said:

It doesn't matter what "craft" kids have learned at another corps, a high level band, or wherever. The BD way of constructing/teaching/learning shows is a very different experience, and I have seen so many members attest to that. They essentially create big chunks of the show on the field, in real time, rather than hand the members something charted out in advance. It's a big learning curve for new members, no matter where you came from.

They had 143 new-to-the-corps members and only 21 vets who knew the system this year, which was why there was a big question hanging over them early on about whether they were going to be able to pull off something of their typical level of excellence. Huge props to all involved that they were able to. The staff has been frank about saying it was a bit rocky early on and they had to slow down and alter their teaching approach until they could get so many new people locked into the method. 

It's all a unique learning experience and there is nothing unfair about people wanting to better themselves by being exposed to it, especially those who plan to go into the education field. 

Sure but there is no doubt that more experienced marchers can pick things up faster and execute them cleaner. It’s not a BD thing, it’s just life. If your goal is to consistently win titles, you must recruit the most experienced marching members. Period.

When an NFL team needs to win a title they go out and sign veterans. They don’t expect rookies to perform at an all-pro level. And frankly, a 21 year old is a boy; a veteran can be ten years older.

On 8/16/2022 at 9:44 AM, jwillis35 said:

Agree.

The Blue Devils are a BIG brand name. Maybe the biggest in the marching arts World Wide. They can recruit kids from all over. I never thought their recruits were a bunch of kids who marched elsewhere then one day woke up and thought "I didn't win anything here so I am going to BD." There may be a few of those types, but you have to be good enough to make the corps.

In reality and from a more practical standpoint I think what you get are kids that would love to march Blue Devils but know they will not make the A corps. If they live in Northern California they can march BD-B or another corps. If they live elsewhere they will likely go get some experience first. Even after getting that experience will they be good enough to make BD? Most will not. 

In the end you have to pass the audition and make the corps. Not everyone who desires to march BD will make the corps. So just because you may be heading into your age-out year does not mean you automatically audition for and make BD. Doesn't work that way and these kids know it. Unless you are top tier as a player, percussionist, dancer, marcher, etc. then most likely you are staying put. I heard that a large percentage of their corps for 2022 were California kids. 

True for nearly all the finalist level corps. You have to be good enough to be asked to join. But the level of ability is drastically different between the bottom four and the top four. This is really not arguable. It’s infinitely harder to make Bluecoats than Crossmen.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 1:52 AM, LoveKathyG said:

I'd be more inclined to go the way of the Barbershop Harmony Society Championships (yes, it's a real thing, and it's pretty impressive) and permit the previous year's champion to perform in exhibition only.  That would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

It would go a long way to bankrupting the activity. Why do you think people buy tickets to these shows? To watch the best corps do an exhibition?

Compete. That’s what you need to do. 

Not very long ago Boston barely made finals. They won the silver last month. They didn’t sit around and complain about their disadvantages, they competed.

Edited by MikeRapp
  • Like 5

On 8/15/2022 at 11:52 PM, LoveKathyG said:

I'd be more inclined to go the way of the Barbershop Harmony Society Championships (yes, it's a real thing, and it's pretty impressive) and permit the previous year's champion to perform in exhibition only.  That would go a long way toward leveling the playing field.

While the ABBD crowd would rejoice after a BD win knowing they would be in exhibition the following year, I would love to go back in time, and put this ridiculous rule into effect after Phantom/Crown/Bluecoats win outright titles in 2008/2013/2016, and see what their respective fanbases think knowing those corps can't compete the following year. 

Also Cadets and Cavaliers could kiss their three-peat's goodbye as well. Would love to hear from their fanbases as to what they think about this. No Four Corners or Spin Cycle for you Cavies fans! Cadets 1984.......wiped from the record books! I guess @84BDsopget's his ring after all!

And since we had ties in 96, 99, 00................that means we have two corps that fans don't get to see compete the following year. 

But hey we got to do what's necessary so all the little Johnny's and Sally's can win and feel great about themselves. 

SMDH. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chief Guns said:

While the ABBD crowd would rejoice after a BD win knowing they would be in exhibition the following year, I would love to go back in time, and put this ridiculous rule into effect after Phantom/Crown/Bluecoats win outright titles in 2008/2013/2016, and see what their respective fanbases think knowing those corps can't compete the following year. 

Also Cadets and Cavaliers could kiss their three-peat's goodbye as well. Would love to hear from their fanbases as to what they think about this. No Four Corners or Spin Cycle for you Cavies fans! Cadets 1984.......wiped from the record books! I guess @84BDsopget's his ring after all!

And since we had ties in 96, 99, 00................that means we have two corps that fans don't get to see compete the following year. 

But hey we got to do what's necessary so all the little Johnny's and Sally's can win and feel great about themselves. 

SMDH. 

the take a year off thing is stupid.

• Like 5

On 8/15/2022 at 7:55 PM, Tim K said:

Probably no more than any other year. Depends on the number of age outs and open spaces. I’m not sure people flock to Blue Devils as much as people claim.

Yeah, I think that's not as much a factor as even 10 years ago. People flock to Bluecoats for the vibe and style. People flock to Crown if they're brass players and prefer that style. People go to Boston for guard now. Sure, BD still get their share but there are so many great programs at the top, they all draw great talent. You can see it in how good the top 6 and beyond are getting.

On 8/15/2022 at 8:34 PM, 84BDsop said:

Keep in mind that 66 people may 1) include support staff like cooks and drivers -- people equally important to the success of the corps as any Wayne Downey or ScoJo -- or 2) a lot of those staff may be techs who float in and out during the season, not full-timers like Meehan, Glyde, or ScoJo.

Yeah, was about to say. I know when I marched in Blue Devils, we had Wayne and Jim Ott on horns, Mike Moxley and Mel Stratton on vis, Rick Odello, Ron Menke and Steve Chorazy doing drums. Color guard was somewhat self-run equipment-wise with input from the vis staff. All full time on tour. Now, almost all groups have techs rotating in for a week or a few days on tour. Frankly, it's good because many young and talented performers/age-outs get some real experience in the trenches, which will help them establish in the industry. Yeah, it's kind of weird for us old-timers but it's the new way.

21 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

so really only tenors will be new faces to the family

Record number of age-outs though, overall. Expanded corps, but much higher attrition than usual. Still, a robust and talented core to work with. Amazing how that happened after two complete years away from competition.

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

the take a year off thing is stupid.

Agreed. One of the dumbest things I have ever heard. 

• Like 1