Phantom Regiment's Standing O

I think the Cadets at Allentown 2018 had a sustained applause from the Z pull to the end  and then some .  I think the feeling at the time was a reaction to the GH situation and the fact that the Cadets were still alive..I don't know how long the ovation was but we(my family) were on our feet  for at least a minute  and left the show optimistic that the next year would be even better...Well, you know what happened in 2019.The only Cadet show I can't watch again...peace

• Like 2

3 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

I think the Cadets at Allentown 2018 had a sustained applause from the Z pull to the end  and then some .  I think the feeling at the time was a reaction to the GH situation and the fact that the Cadets were still alive..I don't know how long the ovation was but we(my family) were on our feet  for at least a minute  and left the show optimistic that the next year would be even better...Well, you know what happened in 2019.The only Cadet show I can't watch again...peace

I recall sustained ovation for Cadets 2011 at finals starting with the long chords at company front and then through the fast-paced ending. Don't know how long that is.

• Thanks 1

Phantom this year was wonderful. They deserved a long standing ovation. I think Madison Scouts in 1995 had some very long standing ovations that started from the end of the Malaga park and blow to the rotating company front to the push to the final drill form. I don't have stats on the time, but I don't think I have ever seen an audience go nuts as they did for that show. And if you add up all the standing ovations Madison got through the show, you are probably talking about 3 minutes of standing time. 

• Like 3

How long a corps gets for a standing ovation probably depends oh where you sit. In my section Boston Crusaders and Cadets probably got a longer standing ovation than Phantom, though for most of the people sitting in my section, Phantom would probably have been the preferred corps. 

Of the finals performances I’ve attended, the longest standing O I can recall was Bloo in 2019, beginning with “Hey Jude” and ending well after the performance. Non finals, I would have to agree with waliman4444. At Allentown in 2018, the response to Cadets was huge.  

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 9:29 AM, Boss Anova said:

I can perfectly understand how Phantom Regiment was the fan favorite show this season . No gimmicks .l. No large and obtrusive  props . No narration . Just terrific music and drill presented in an interesting and appealing manner to many of us fans.

There are some championship caliber corps that could learn from Phantom's philosophy.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Tim K said:

How long a corps gets for a standing ovation probably depends oh where you sit. In my section Boston Crusaders and Cadets probably got a longer standing ovation than Phantom, though for most of the people sitting in my section, Phantom would probably have been the preferred corps. 

Of the finals performances I’ve attended, the longest standing O I can recall was Bloo in 2019, beginning with “Hey Jude” and ending well after the performance. Non finals, I would have to agree with waliman4444. At Allentown in 2018, the response to Cadets was huge.  

Oh good call with the Hey Jude tag.  I remember being at the theater for Big Loud Live and you could pick up the crowd still singing it as they left the field.  

16 hours ago, waliman4444 said:

that O was a combination of many things.

first the corps came off a week where the tour ick went through the corps had. i believe they even had to pull out of a show that week.

yes, Hopghazi.

But...i believe the term i used in my review of the night was the kids themselves exorcised all of the other BS out of their system and the show ####### gelled at a level no one was ready for yet was dying to see. during the ballad you felt special building. the further into Ballet Sacra you became captivated by what was unfolding before your eyes. by the Z Pull, after several years of creative misfires, THEY WERE THE ####### CADETS!!! the kids felt it. the judges felt it. the crowd felt it. The Lehigh Valley felt it. and the momentum carried them the entire next week.

in my 50+ years of remembering drum corps shows i saw live ( sorry i dont remember anything from birth in 69 til 72) a few select performances i witnessed live still give me chills. 86 BD. 92 Crossmen. 92 Bushwackers at DCA Prelims. 96 Phantom. 99 SCV. 08 Phantom.......and 18 Cadets. ( SCV got rained out ######!)

it was just a moment when everything came together and sucked everyone in with them

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

first the corps came off a week where the tour ick went through the corps had. i believe they even had to pull out of a show that week.

yes, Hopghazi.

But...i believe the term i used in my review of the night was the kids themselves exorcised all of the other BS out of their system and the show ####### gelled at a level no one was ready for yet was dying to see. during the ballad you felt special building. the further into Ballet Sacra you became captivated by what was unfolding before your eyes. by the Z Pull, after several years of creative misfires, THEY WERE THE ####### CADETS!!! the kids felt it. the judges felt it. the crowd felt it. The Lehigh Valley felt it. and the momentum carried them the entire next week.

in my 50+ years of remembering drum corps shows i saw live ( sorry i dont remember anything from birth in 69 til 72) a few select performances i witnessed live still give me chills. 86 BD. 92 Crossmen. 92 Bushwackers at DCA Prelims. 96 Phantom. 99 SCV. 08 Phantom.......and 18 Cadets. ( SCV got rained out ######!)

it was just a moment when everything came together and sucked everyone in with them

Until you mentioned it, I almost forgot the Crossmen in 1992..That early 90's corps played very accessible music and their ending that year with the question mark was a tear jerker..I remember seeing a video  from that year, where the audience went bonkers when they realized the form (?) that the Crossmen  ended their show with..peace

8 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

yes, Hopghazi.

Boy do I wish I was in Allentown in 2018. I saw a short video clip of the crowd going absolutely bonkers for The Cadets. It was amazing just how far that corps had to progress from the beginning of the season. I saw them in Akron early season that year and was worried they would be in the 11th or 12th grouping. But it sounds like Allentown was a huge leap where the corps just crushed it.