Phantom Regiment's Standing O

On 8/15/2022 at 7:13 PM, On the 50 said:

I believe Phantom Regiment may have set an all-time record for the longest sustained full-crowd standing ovation during a competition show Saturday night - 1 minute, 39 seconds. This was from the beginning of the chevron push in the closer to the end of the show (not counting the time after the final note). The previous longest standing O in recent memory was during the closer of Babylon in 2018, which was a paltry 52 seconds - Regiment nearly DOUBLED that! Madison 2011 (Empire State of Mind) was 48 seconds at Finals. Can anyone come up with one that was even in the ballpark of what happened Saturday night? I'm not counting Victory runs, which are a different animal. I'm talking a judged competition performance.

You have all of these numbers but from where? Then your question which seems you answered that in your first statement.

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Boy do I wish I was in Allentown in 2018. I saw a short video clip of the crowd going absolutely bonkers for The Cadets. It was amazing just how far that corps had to progress from the beginning of the season. I saw them in Akron early season that year and was worried they would be in the 11th or 12th grouping. But it sounds like Allentown was a huge leap where the corps just crushed it. 

well given what happened in April, a lot of time was spent solidifying the organization and getting new admin in place....and then they realized the show announced needed overhauled in many big ways given all that went down in April. thats lost time. many times you see that the best shows do their most homework in the offeason, and the 2 months before move in were more about survival of the organization

• Like 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Check out Tilt. Folks stood in ANTICIPATION of the pitch bend all the way to the end and then some more. Standing O’s grew as the season progressed. It was an amazing show. 

agreed. SCV 09 is another one that sticks out

8 hours ago, DFA1970 said:

You have all of these numbers but from where? Then your question which seems you answered that in your first statement.

Used a stopwatch app while watching the video.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

Boy do I wish I was in Allentown in 2018. I saw a short video clip of the crowd going absolutely bonkers for The Cadets. It was amazing just how far that corps had to progress from the beginning of the season. I saw them in Akron early season that year and was worried they would be in the 11th or 12th grouping. But it sounds like Allentown was a huge leap where the corps just crushed it. 

Cadets ending from 2018 Allentown. 

• Thanks 1

Wow people have a lot of free time on their hands. To get really accurate we need to count how many people were standing and for how long, then decide if we want to use the raw number of people standing, or that number as a percentage of the crowd. So if PR had 20,000 people standing for 1 minute eighteen seconds, and Cadets had 11,000 people satnding for one minute and twentyone seconds, which is the bigger standing O. Or if on only had 89%% of the crowd standing for 2 minutes and the other had 94% standing for one minute and fiftyeight seconds, which was the bigger O.  Be sure to count every person in every frame of the video to make sure you get an accurate count.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, totaleefree said:

Wow people have a lot of free time on their hands. To get really accurate we need to count how many people were standing and for how long, then decide if we want to use the raw number of people standing, or that number as a percentage of the crowd. So if PR had 20,000 people standing for 1 minute eighteen seconds, and Cadets had 11,000 people satnding for one minute and twentyone seconds, which is the bigger standing O. Or if on only had 89%% of the crowd standing for 2 minutes and the other had 94% standing for one minute and fiftyeight seconds, which was the bigger O.  Be sure to count every person in every frame of the video to make sure you get an accurate count.

I rather like stopwatch stuff.  Especially when it's on ensemble playing time and movement vs non-movement.

Hot having any actual ties to Rockford or the corps in particular, I did sort of become a stan of them aya back in the early 80s when I first saw them perform at Corps Encore.  I was incrementally more and more excited as the summer went on.

But I will have ot play devil's advocate a tiny bit.  From the moment the crowd jumped up for the Chevron push, until Brandt's closing comment, was however long mentioned above.   BUT, to be honest about it, while the folks may have remained standing, there was 20 -25 seconds where they weren't broadly applauding, as they were waiting for the final moments.  So standing, yes, but a gap in the actual "ovation" portion.  Just feel like I have to be fair to the SCV Babylon, Madison Empire, and Phantom Spartacus shows.  😎