Phantom Regiment's Standing O

Then there are the people who stood up because the people in front of them stood up, and they just wanted to see the end of the show, but they weren't necessarily cheering, at least not with more than one minute left in the show

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, totaleefree said:

Then there are the people who stood up because the people in front of them stood up, and they just wanted to see the end of the show, but they weren't necessarily cheering, at least not with more than one minute left in the show

Remember, many of them voted Regiment 2022 phan phavorite.

For me the biggest phan reaction was this year at Allentown.  We had started working the Chevron in at Newark, but I guess I was too lazy to climb up to the top of the bleachers to see how it looked.  Then in Allentown the place we were at had no stands so the only people who could see how it looked were the folks in the scaffolds. That afternoon when we got ready to head to J  Birney Crum the AC in my van died, I had 2 of the featured performers in my 120 degree van and of course instead of taking 32 minutes to get there like the GPS said it took us over an hour in our traveling sauna to get there.  The kids had been complaining the  quarantine room had been too cold that night and now they got the other extreme. I was really worried if they were going to be able to do a good job on their parts.  

Once at Allentown I was beat from just an hour in my steamroom and ran across the creek through the BAC party to the gas station to get a gatorade. On the way back I ran into a friend who was driving the Blue Devils prop truck. We had sailed across the Pacific on the same boat in 2019 so we talked a little about that but then he said "the one show that I really need to see live today is the Regiment"  and that made me start feeling good about the show.

I wanted to see exactly how the Chevron looked from up and see how the crowd reaction was. I had been in Allentown with the Regiment in 2019 and we were hanging onto our position for finals by the last shards of our fingernails then. PR has a loyal Phanbase but no one seemed excited about that 2019 show, though the kids pulled it off better than the show that had been written for them. This time everyone was looking forward to Phantom and it was a must see for a lot of the East Coast crowd.    So I went up the hill to the field then up the hill to the top of the stands and made my way to the staff viewing area. this was on the 50 where the bleachers built into the hill ended and the steel bleachers began.  It was just me, Tony and his wife JD and one person from the visual staff whose name escapes me.   

We got to the Chevron which was easy and clear to see from there and the entire stadium erupted the people above us, the people below us, the people on either side. From our vantage it was 2 minutes of Euphoria.  It seemed everyone was going bonkers.   When the show ended Tony asked me so what did you think I just said wow and gave a thumbs up. then people in the yellow DCI jackets came over and started congratulating JD and Tony thanking them for the show. I  even got a handshake or two though my badge said something like extra badge # 13.  I guess some of them mistakenly thought I knew something about drum corps and had something to do with the show.     It was the best experience I have ever had watching a DCI show.    I didn't have a stopwatch or a clicker to count how many were standing, but anyone who was there knows it was a special Euphoria that night.

At finals I had to go in the "Bullpen" to watch the show.  It is Awesome to be down on the field that close to the corps, but you can't really feel the crowd like we did in Atown, also you have a very limited view and you can only see maybe the first 3 rows of the crowd so you can't really judge the crowd reaction.

• Like 2

On 8/27/2022 at 9:33 PM, supersop said:

Probably not the longest, but the loudest and most sustained I ever heard was the last 45 seconds of Cavies 1991 show.

Well, you know, I think people stood and applauded for 1979 27th for 13 minutes. But I didn’t have the stopwatch app (and I was kind of busy at the time). 😂

Edited by Jurassic Lancer
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, totaleefree said:

For me the biggest phan reaction was this year at Allentown.  We had started working the Chevron in at Newark, but I guess I was too lazy to climb up to the top of the bleachers to see how it looked.  Then in Allentown the place we were at had no stands so the only people who could see how it looked were the folks in the scaffolds. That afternoon when we got ready to head to J  Birney Crum the AC in my van died, I had 2 of the featured performers in my 120 degree van and of course instead of taking 32 minutes to get there like the GPS said it took us over an hour in our traveling sauna to get there.  The kids had been complaining the  quarantine room had been too cold that night and now they got the other extreme. I was really worried if they were going to be able to do a good job on their parts.  

Once at Allentown I was beat from just an hour in my steamroom and ran across the creek through the BAC party to the gas station to get a gatorade. On the way back I ran into a friend who was driving the Blue Devils prop truck. We had sailed across the Pacific on the same boat in 2019 so we talked a little about that but then he said "the one show that I really need to see live today is the Regiment"  and that made me start feeling good about the show.

I wanted to see exactly how the Chevron looked from up and see how the crowd reaction was. I had been in Allentown with the Regiment in 2019 and we were hanging onto our position for finals by the last shards of our fingernails then. PR has a loyal Phanbase but no one seemed excited about that 2019 show, though the kids pulled it off better than the show that had been written for them. This time everyone was looking forward to Phantom and it was a must see for a lot of the East Coast crowd.    So I went up the hill to the field then up the hill to the top of the stands and made my way to the staff viewing area. this was on the 50 where the bleachers built into the hill ended and the steel bleachers began.  It was just me, Tony and his wife JD and one person from the visual staff whose name escapes me.   

We got to the Chevron which was easy and clear to see from there and the entire stadium erupted the people above us, the people below us, the people on either side. From our vantage it was 2 minutes of Euphoria.  It seemed everyone was going bonkers.   When the show ended Tony asked me so what did you think I just said wow and gave a thumbs up. then people in the yellow DCI jackets came over and started congratulating JD and Tony thanking them for the show. I  even got a handshake or two though my badge said something like extra badge # 13.  I guess some of them mistakenly thought I knew something about drum corps and had something to do with the show.     It was the best experience I have ever had watching a DCI show.    I didn't have a stopwatch or a clicker to count how many were standing, but anyone who was there knows it was a special Euphoria that night.

At finals I had to go in the "Bullpen" to watch the show.  It is Awesome to be down on the field that close to the corps, but you can't really feel the crowd like we did in Atown, also you have a very limited view and you can only see maybe the first 3 rows of the crowd so you can't really judge the crowd reaction.

they definitely lit Allentown up!

2 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

They were still standing and cheering for us when the corps after us was on.😉🙃

I stood for i think it was BD in 17 for the whole show at Allentown....i didnt make it back to my seat in time after a quick bathroom run

• Haha 3