An HOUR to get into Lucas Oil Stadium????

3 minutes ago, JimF-LowBari said:

Ask them for a crowd size guesstimate for comparison.

LOL Poison eh? At least that’s one (former) resident of Mechanicsburg PA we know for sure will be there. (Unlike the posts about if you know who was really there 😈😆)

I will tomorrow.  It started at 4pm. 

• Thanks 1

I just walked up and it took about 15 minutes to get in

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Anecdote- DCI and NASCAR seem worlds apart, but there a similarity that may serve as a clarion call for DCI.

One aspect I won't get into here is constant rule changes (also an issue in DCI) that alienated their longtime fan base. Over time, attendance has dwindled.

Anecdote- A 1.5 mile oval was build in Sparta, KY, near Cincinnati and about an hour from Louisville. After developing fans for years with Xfinity, Truck, and Indy Car, they got a Cup race in 2011 (after hosting Regionals for years in the 2000s at the RCA Dome, Indy got their "Cup Race" with DCI Finals in 2009 when Lucas Oil was built).

Speedway officials claim they did not anticipate the crowd that tried to get there (even though they expanded seating to over 100k). Having gone to that race, one problem was the way they were parking cars. They could have fit lots more cars with a more commonsense parking strategy, but bottom line- thousands never made it to the track and turned around. I don't know if it was the track, or a contractor hired by the track for parking services, but for the fan it doesn't matter. They either got there late if at all, or missed what they paid for. (DCI or LOS could have got in people quicker with working scanners or more workers. Whether DCI or LOS, it appears many did not get in the stadium until after the event started).

This was a PR disaster. The track held Cup races for several years afterward but eventually lost the date, in part due to dwindling attendance. NASCAR as a whole has experienced attendance issues, but it exacerbated at this facility by the 2011 disaster. Many never came back.

Moral of the story for DCI:  Don't make your longtime fans mad. They may decide it's not worth it.

Edited by wolfgang

I have no knowledge of how the contract between LOS and DCI is structured, but I have been involved in larger facility rentals in the past for special events.  Typically the venue (and its subcontractors) decide how to staff an event based off of projected attendance numbers provided to them by the event promoter/organizer.

For example, if an event organizer/promoter anticipates 5,000 attendees... the venue knows that they need to have "X" number of entrance gates open, "Y" number staff on hand, and "Z" number of concession stands open.  If that attendance number jumps up to 10K or 15K, they know how to adjust all of the other numbers upwards accordingly.  It's all based off of previous experience as well as industry metrics that typically don't vary much.

If you want more than what the venue is recommending, that comes at an additional cost... so you oftentimes trust what the vendor is recommending.

12 minutes ago, skevinp said:

I think things go faster if you don’t try to emulate her wardrobe.  

OMG dude, I saw soooo many people doing that. I was in shorts and a t-shirt. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, bluecoats88 said:

I just walked up and it took about 15 minutes to get in

Yeah, me too. I got in quickly....

The concession lines, quality, and elevator staff on the other hand were absolutely terrible and unprofessional.

3 hours ago, Terri Schehr said:

Two relatives of mine are going to the Motley Crew/Def Leppard/Poison/Joan Jett concert today at Lucas Oil Stadium. I made sure to ask her to relay her experience getting into the stadium. 

I saw a motley crew off loading at the Conrad on Wednesday.  They came in on at least 5 Prevost entertainer coaches.  (Nitetrain Coach of Nashville)  The one I watched off load was labeled PR5.  At first I thought Phantom staff?  But no way; these guys had to be roadies.  (rough; cough)   Couldn't have been the stadium tour since they were in Minneapolis on Sunday.

Last year I got to see Dave Matthews!  Think he had at least 9-10 Prevost coaches.      

• Like 1