Latest Drum Corps Cliches

17 hours ago, Cappybara said:

They were a fan favorite because they had a melodic show that was easy on the ears and fun to listen to. They also had a classic closer that exuded Phantom Regiment, something that has been missing from the corps since 2013-2014. Ask a random audience member what the show was actually about however, and they would not be able to tell you. 

And yes I’ve read the show description before. With this show being my 2nd favorite of the year, I have given it many views including a live read. The show is highly entertaining, but is mostly nonsensical. And that’s totally okay, because it was entertaining as hell and everyone loved it.

Btw, phantom’s description of the show is a lot of words not saying much at all. But that’s par for the course for most corps’ show descriptions as designers really do love the hoity toity stuff

edit: @Sutasaurus I hope you don’t take any offense. It is quite telling that the two shows I mentioned as being about “nothing” are the two shows that were by far the biggest crowd favorites this year. Perhaps that should tell the designers of other corps something about the way they’re currently designing their shows. I don’t think anyone would complain if we got more shows about nothing 

Dont really get how the theme is nonsensical or the show is about “nothing” though. It’s honestly a very grounded message, albeit unoriginal sure. Go about your own life path, away from the familiar, the comfortable, bumps in the road can occur, a part of growing and changing through one’s journey. Pretty effectively conveyed in the music, but there is always a home for you to return to, a classical way of delivering the message. People can also take from it that new “homes” can be made but where you came from is still a part of you. Just because it’s a simple, grounded message doesn’t mean it’s nothing. I also don’t think the crowd bends towards “nothing” shows, I really don’t think that at all. If anything I feel people drive more towards either a programmatic/self-referential show design more than anything. 

Edited by Vidal28Rdg
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Sutasaurus said:

A bit of an issue here with the reference to Regiment’s show this year. Did you listen/ read the show description at all?

From DCI. Org:

PR ends season as fan favorite

No Walk Too Far followed the human journey we all experience: the comfort of our familiar home and the call to adventure that makes us leave. The friends and foes we meet along the way. The paths we choose and the ones we pass by.

In drum corps, as in life, things are not always easy. Life pushes us to our limits. It takes us to unexpected places and can make us feel alone. But while we may leave home, home never leaves us. There was No Walk Too Far.

I think they did a pretty good job of getting their theme across. If not they might have not garnered “Phan Phavorite” this year.

Now you know this, rewatch the show. You might “get it”.

I felt that deeply from their show.  Maybe that’s why I cried.  

• Like 3

I'd love to see what a post generator bot would post here after being fed the post of the last year.

I bet it'd be something like, "Shows now have no apparent meaning!  I just want four songs and good drill!"

7 minutes ago, KVG_DC said:

I'd love to see what a post generator bot would post here after being fed the post of the last year.

I bet it'd be something like, "Shows now have no apparent meaning!  I just want four songs and good drill!"

"all dance no drill! i miss 1957! that was REAL drum corps!"

23 hours ago, arabica said:

Every show is about something: whether it's presented in a straightforward way is another question altogether, but I appreciate the diversity that comes with depth and layered meaning. The least compelling theme for me this year was Right Here, Right Now. This is how I interpreted the shows:

• BD: ...blue?
  • BAC: the fall of mankind
  • Bloo: a dream [and a self-help message!]
  • Crown: being present in the moment

Crown: "Right Here Right Now Now"

Edited by keystone3ply
cx
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

The members of 1957 were just as dedicated as the members of 2022.  

That’s true.  I marched with some Alamo Rangers who became Royal-Airs, marched in 1957,  and then in the Alumni corps in 2002.  That is the year I was born. They were definitely dedicated to come back and march after all those years. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

That’s true.  I marched with some Alamo Rangers who became Royal-Airs, marched in 1957,  and then in the Alumni corps in 2002.  That is the year I was born. They were definitely dedicated to come back and march after all those years. 

Like the new avatar Terri!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Drum Corps Is Now a Bust said:

In the DCP forum, monolithic thought is king. Diversity of thought (e.g., critiquing) is marginally tolerated.

I'm going to posit some explanations as to why that seem to apply to many DCP posters:

(1) Many DCP posters perceive the activity through the lens of sentimentality and nostalgia. These presuppositions are projected upon all commentators, meaning that they expect everyone to perceive the activity (DCI and the individual corps) the same as they do.

(2) Many poster take a "projection of divine perfection" approach to the activity. Unless something someone does is really egregious, DCI and the individual corps directors and staffs do no wrong. If they do any "wrong," their actions must be minimized to mere inconvenience at best to where the "wrong" isn't really anything worth discussing. Thus, it projects an activity where everyone has the greatest of intentions and are the best people ever. 

These two major presuppositions most posters would rarely translate to other consumable entertainment for which they pay their money, but in this forum we should all conform to "the good ship lollipop" disposition, otherwise just don't post at all.  

You’re new here, aren’t you?

• Haha 3