Dome Shows

I'm certain I haven't thought this all the way through...and that DCP will point it out while laughing me out of the room. 

But what if DCI went into "blank sheet" startover mode...( bear with me) ...with regards to touring. 

What if the number of events in a tour were decreased, and the number of big DOME shows were increased. Right now a corps ends up marching right at 30+ shows before Finals is over. 

What if the tour was 15-20 shows, but all in major markets throughout the US that have the stadiums to support big shows and big crowds. Less shows but bigger shows? More time to rehearse between shows, less rainouts, less wear on the kids/staff, etc. 

What if opening night was like a Super Regional with all the Corps. And then move the whole thing from market to market...Saturday and Wednesday shows only. Major markets. Big crowds. 

Start tour in Indy...then go to: 
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix 
LA 
San Francisco 
One week travel/rehearsal to get to: 
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Houston
Austin
New Orleans
Nashville
Atlanta
Raleigh
Pittsburgh
Columbus, OH
Indy Prelims
Indy Semis
Indy Finals

Big markets that will have the best chance at housing all the corps...more exposure in bigger stadiums. Targeted advertising in those markets on TV/Radio. 

Yes...I know this is "not the way it's always been"...but could it be this way? 

So no shows of any kind in the North East including Mass., NJ, NY Pa. (Pitt. isn't really north east) ?

Also a lot  of corps would lose their "home" shows.

Don't think that's gonna fly.

• Like 1

Fewer shows in domed stadiums would most likely mean higher prices and farther distances to travel for some therefore fewer spectators.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Kopeck said:

Fewer shows in domed stadiums would most likely mean higher prices and farther distances to travel for some therefore fewer spectators.

As opposed to people traveling to Mesquite, TX or Powder Springs, GA? And marketed on TV/Radio in market ( I've never seen or heard a DCI event commercial anywhere). 

As for prices. Indy was sold out. Yes it was Finals. But if you strategically locate the markets, announce it way in advance, I'm putting forth the idea that people would have a better experience, not worry about if there investment would rain out, and that a new generation of fans could be generated as well as a new generation of marchers. 

As a volunteer for the Cavaliers this year, I wrote bios for each member of the corps ( well, about 60 of them...voluntary submission to be used for Volunteers to get to "know" the marchers before meeting them on tour)...One of the interview questions was..."How did you learn about DCI". 

85% of them said "From watching Youtube Videos"...can DCI not do any better than that? 

21 minutes ago, NJbirder said:

Interesting thinking. I'd also like to see the corps compete in an even number of shows for as equal of an experience as possible. But please don't eliminate Allentown... (as we've recently seen, certainly a better staff than Indy!)

Just to get the blaspheme overwith and out in the open...how far is it from Allentown to Pittsburgh?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kopeck said:

Would you pay a higher price to KNOW there was going to be a show? Not being confrontational...asking in earnest. I bought 4 tickets for Atlanta this year, and thank God a miracle guided that show between massive thunderstorms and they got it in...otherwise...I'm out $350. 

7 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Just to get the blaspheme overwith and out in the open...how far is it from Allentown to Pittsburgh?

4 1/2-5 hour drive depending on traffic and if you're paying tolls or not.  No small trip.

• Like 1