Dome Shows

19 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Would you pay a higher price to KNOW there was going to be a show? Not being confrontational...asking in earnest. I bought 4 tickets for Atlanta this year, and thank God a miracle guided that show between massive thunderstorms and they got it in...otherwise...I'm out $350. 

I am all for domed shows as there is no fear of weather (rain/heat) but I am sure DCI would have to pay more for the stadium and am not sure the average family could afford the prices. But hey, I could be wrong.

I like your ideas. Don't be afraid to put ideas out there. This allows for good conversation. 

I agree with you that perhaps more DOME shows could be a good thing. It's not good for sound, but very good for making sure the event happens without rain or heat delays or cancellations. 

With the smaller shows the issue will be revenue for long-time DCI supporting shows, especially shows that are run by the corps. 

EARLY SEASON (QUARTER 1)

• during this time the corps really need to compete in their regions. Aside from a Midwest or East Coast unit traveling to the West Coast for an early season run I think most corps should stay in their region and try to do as many local / regional shows as possible. 
  • I think Detroit should be delayed so that corps don't leave their regions too soon causing issues with travel and issues with local shows
  • For the TOUR PREMIERE do a telecast (Flo and Cinema) that combines shows from East, Midwest, West
    • TPC Annapolis, MD (Cadets, Crown, Boston, Spirit, Music City, etc)
    • TPC Madison, WI (Scouts, Cavies, Bluecoats (could do east or midwest), Phantom, Colts, Crossmen, Colt Cadets, Blue Stars, etc)
    • TPC Stanford, CA (BD, SCV, BK, Mandarins, PC, Academy, BDB, SCVC, and more)
  • This would happen June 21 - July 4. 

QUARTER 2

• East and Midwest begin to converge on 1st Regional in Detroit ( DCI MOTOR CITY REGIONAL )
  • West corps head to Denver for Drums Along the Rockies Regional
  • but DCI could consider using the Dome in Glendale, AZ for a DCI Desert Regional
  • Roughly July 5 - 19

QUARTER 3

• Texas Tour and San Antonio Regional
  • Also some Plains States shows and Midwest Shows before and after Texas (like Broken Arrow)
  • Roughly July 20 - 28

QUARTER 4

• DCI Atlanta Regional
  • DCI East Regional
  • Coastal shows and stops in Buffalo, Canton, and Cincinnati en route to Finals
  • INDIANAPOLIS for DCI Finals
  • Roughly July 29 - August 14 or so

So for me, more regional and local shows early.

• Save Detroit for a Midwest meets East Regional.
  • Fortify Denver as a Regional again or look into Glendale, AZ
  • Texas tour stays roughly the same, but maybe look into a 2-day event in San Antonio. Maybe half and half like DCI East so the smaller corps get better starting times

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

26 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

I like your ideas. Don't be afraid to put ideas out there. This allows for good conversation. 

I agree with you that perhaps more DOME shows could be a good thing. It's not good for sound, but very good for making sure the event happens without rain or heat delays or cancellations. 

With the smaller shows the issue will be revenue for long-time DCI supporting shows, especially shows that are run by the corps. 

EARLY SEASON (QUARTER 1)

• during this time the corps really need to compete in their regions. Aside from a Midwest or East Coast unit traveling to the West Coast for an early season run I think most corps should stay in their region and try to do as many local / regional shows as possible. 
  • I think Detroit should be delayed so that corps don't leave their regions too soon causing issues with travel and issues with local shows
  • For the TOUR PREMIERE do a telecast (Flo and Cinema) that combines shows from East, Midwest, West
    • TPC Annapolis, MD (Cadets, Crown, Boston, Spirit, Music City, etc)
    • TPC Madison, WI (Scouts, Cavies, Bluecoats (could do east or midwest), Phantom, Colts, Crossmen, Colt Cadets, Blue Stars, etc)
    • TPC Stanford, CA (BD, SCV, BK, Mandarins, PC, Academy, BDB, SCVC, and more)
  • This would happen June 21 - July 4. 

QUARTER 2

• East and Midwest begin to converge on 1st Regional in Detroit ( DCI MOTOR CITY REGIONAL )
  • West corps head to Denver for Drums Along the Rockies Regional
  • but DCI could consider using the Dome in Glendale, AZ for a DCI Desert Regional
  • Roughly July 5 - 19

QUARTER 3

• Texas Tour and San Antonio Regional
  • Also some Plains States shows and Midwest Shows before and after Texas (like Broken Arrow)
  • Roughly July 20 - 28

QUARTER 4

• DCI Atlanta Regional
  • DCI East Regional
  • Coastal shows and stops in Buffalo, Canton, and Cincinnati en route to Finals
  • INDIANAPOLIS for DCI Finals
  • Roughly July 29 - August 14 or so

So for me, more regional and local shows early.

• Save Detroit for a Midwest meets East Regional.
  • Fortify Denver as a Regional again or look into Glendale, AZ
  • Texas tour stays roughly the same, but maybe look into a 2-day event in San Antonio. Maybe half and half like DCI East so the smaller corps get better starting times

I love seeing someone with a better handle on this idea take it and start spinning it into something that might actually be viable. I may just have "DCI colored glasses" on...but I believe the activity and the amazing entertainment it provides is one of the poorest marketed "sports" I"ve ever seen. There has to be a way to get more people exposed with an initial impression. I really was shocked filling out those member bios. Save Band Directors that pointed kids to DCI to march., or them discovering it on Youtube, according that data set common knowledge of what the activity is and does hardly registers...there has to be a pardigmatic change in thinking that could change that. 

• Like 4