Dome Shows

In five-seven years, temps in Texas and Oklahoma won't be 103 in July--they will be 110. Not safe or sustainable. Bookend the Texas tour starting with a regional in Dallas' new domed stadium Saturday, July 15, and finish with the San Antonio regional the 22nd of July. DCI has already reserved Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta for the 29th of July, 2023. From there, schedule two regionals for the weekend before finals, splitting the corps. One in St. Louis' domed stadium (great acoustics), and Allentown. 

• Confused 1

Based on a quick google search, there are appoximately 27 dome stadiums in the USA that hold more than 10,000 people..Most in warm or severe weather locations...unfortunately as has been mentioned, Syracuse N.Y. is not ideal for drum corps..Basketball yes drum corps no.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I’ll probably fly to Atlanta next year if it’s at the Mercedes Benz stadium. That’s my closest big show.  There are no shows in Florida and I don’t blame them. It rains every afternoon in the summer. 

From what Dan A. told me at the Friends tailgate I would not bet on a show at the Dome in Atlanta next year. However, I sure hope I am wrong for both of us.

4 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm certain I haven't thought this all the way through...and that DCP will point it out while laughing me out of the room. 

But what if DCI went into "blank sheet" startover mode...( bear with me) ...with regards to touring. 

What if the number of events in a tour were decreased, and the number of big DOME shows were increased. Right now a corps ends up marching right at 30+ shows before Finals is over. 

What if the tour was 15-20 shows, but all in major markets throughout the US that have the stadiums to support big shows and big crowds. Less shows but bigger shows? More time to rehearse between shows, less rainouts, less wear on the kids/staff, etc. 

What if opening night was like a Super Regional with all the Corps. And then move the whole thing from market to market...Saturday and Wednesday shows only. Major markets. Big crowds. 

Start tour in Indy...then go to: 
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix 
LA 
San Francisco 
One week travel/rehearsal to get to: 
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Houston
Austin
New Orleans
Nashville
Atlanta
Raleigh
Pittsburgh
Columbus, OH
Indy Prelims
Indy Semis
Indy Finals

Big markets that will have the best chance at housing all the corps...more exposure in bigger stadiums. Targeted advertising in those markets on TV/Radio. 

Yes...I know this is "not the way it's always been"...but could it be this way? 

Forgive my bias, but avoiding the DFW area in Texas is not the move😂

1 hour ago, Phantom56 said:

In five-seven years, temps in Texas and Oklahoma won't be 103 in July--they will be 110. Not safe or sustainable. Bookend the Texas tour starting with a regional in Dallas' new domed stadium Saturday, July 15, and finish with the San Antonio regional the 22nd of July. DCI has already reserved Mercedes Benz stadium in Atlanta for the 29th of July, 2023. From there, schedule two regionals for the weekend before finals, splitting the corps. One in St. Louis' domed stadium (great acoustics), and Allentown. 

Your speculation is warranted when it comes to Oklahoma, Texas weather, but the heat that came about during the start of that leg of the tour was more abnormal than you’d think, it was hotter in the Oklahoma stops than any part of the Texas tour was. I’m very receptive to what climate scientists are projecting, but the weather in any region is quite variable. I would be quite shocked if we had frequent daily temps on the level of a Phoenix or Vegas here in DFW of 110+ during the summer in this decade.

41 minutes ago, Vidal28Rdg said:

I’m very receptive to what climate scientists are projecting, but the weather in any region is quite variable. I would be quite shocked if we had frequent daily temps on the level of a Phoenix or Vegas here in DFW of 110+ during the summer in this decade.

In the part of Northern NJ where I live it, was unusually hot and humid, from mid July till last week.

The worst part was that, most nights it didn't go below 80 deg.

What was unusual was that the weather people weren't saying anything about this being related to climate change.

They said there a "dome" of hot air from the West over the area  and there weren't any cold fronts with enough "omph" to move it.

• Like 2

I wouldn't want to see San Antonio go away. And the announced attendance at the Alamodome this year was 14K+ which is more than what was announced for Quarters and Semis in Indy.

With respect to the list of Cities/regions, there are no domes in Northern CA. In fact the only dome for football in CA is in LA.

I always find the concept and discussion of distance between potential venues fun to watch.  Someone up thread spoke to the 4+ hours between Allentown and Pittsburgh (or Philly).  I would drive 4 hours without a thought to go to a show. Maybe even just a rehearsal.  Living in Northern Nevada, my closest shows that typically have the best draw for us are either Stanford (5-6 hours across the width of CA) or as we have found in the last 2 years, Ogden, UT (8 hours across the width of NV and half of UT).

• Thanks 2

I wouldn't have a problem driving 4+ hours either. The problem is that Allentown is already 6 hours from Boston, for example, and it is the biggest show close to the northeast/New England area. If you can move it to Met Life Stadium in NJ, that would be ideal from a parking and seat comfort standpoint while not really compromising distances the regulars already drive. And the Newark airport isn't that far away either.

• Like 1