Dome Shows

58 minutes ago, rpbobcat said:

In the part of Northern NJ where I live it, was unusually hot and humid, from mid July till last week.

The worst part was that, most nights it didn't go below 80 deg.

What was unusual was that the weather people weren't saying anything about this being related to climate change.

They said there a "dome" of hot air from the West over the area  and there weren't any cold fronts with enough "omph" to move it.

It’s actually cooler here than last summer but still swamp hot.  

11 minutes ago, NJbirder said:

I wouldn't have a problem driving 4+ hours either. The problem is that Allentown is already 6 hours from Boston, for example, and it is the biggest show close to the northeast/New England area. If you can move it to Met Life Stadium in NJ, that would be ideal from a parking and seat comfort standpoint while not really compromising distances the regulars already drive. And the Newark airport isn't that far away either.

But Allentown is special to many folks from the New England area.  So the 6 hour trek isn’t bad for a traditional gathering of Dino’s. But for this idea that was put out, you need to look closely at logistics. Just thinking where corps starting places are around the country.  It was mentioned that the number of shows should be reduced.  They were reduced this year.  I think BD had 18 scheduled.  Several corps were in the lower 20’s.   I don’t think anyone did 30 shows this year.

I think this years tour could be the model for future tours.

Maybe there can somehow be a way to work out rain dates for certain big shows?

13 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

But Allentown is special to many folks from the New England area.  So the 6 hour trek isn’t bad for a traditional gathering of Dino’s. But for this idea that was put out, you need to look closely at logistics. Just thinking where corps starting places are around the country.  It was mentioned that the number of shows should be reduced.  They were reduced this year.  I think BD had 18 scheduled.  Several corps were in the lower 20’s.   I don’t think anyone did 30 shows this year.

I think this years tour could be the model for future tours.

Maybe there can somehow be a way to work out rain dates for certain big shows?

Oh, totally agree. I was just saying that if you get rid of Allentown and make Pittsburgh the closest show to the northeast, that is where you'll have some challenges. 

Rain dates are not a bad thought it the corps are able to stick around. But having a smaller performance schedule should in theory allow more time at a location.

5 minutes ago, Ediker said:

I like your ideas, @PopcornEater1963

Thank you. I proposed some other ideas on growing the economic support for drumcorps on the Facebook version of DCP and was immediately shouted down. This has been a much more pleasant experience. And I don't believe the original post I put up was the "final idea" There are obviously many more people who love the activity here spinning to, taking from, tweaking, and even rejecting. That is eventually how improvement starts to happen. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

I'm certain I haven't thought this all the way through...and that DCP will point it out while laughing me out of the room. 

But what if DCI went into "blank sheet" startover mode...( bear with me) ...with regards to touring. 

What if the number of events in a tour were decreased, and the number of big DOME shows were increased. Right now a corps ends up marching right at 30+ shows before Finals is over. 

What if the tour was 15-20 shows, but all in major markets throughout the US that have the stadiums to support big shows and big crowds. Less shows but bigger shows? More time to rehearse between shows, less rainouts, less wear on the kids/staff, etc. 

What if opening night was like a Super Regional with all the Corps. And then move the whole thing from market to market...Saturday and Wednesday shows only. Major markets. Big crowds. 

Start tour in Indy...then go to: 
Detroit
Chicago
St. Louis
Houston
Phoenix 
LA 
San Francisco 
One week travel/rehearsal to get to: 
Milwaukee
Cincinnati
Houston
Austin
New Orleans
Nashville
Atlanta
Raleigh
Pittsburgh
Columbus, OH
Indy Prelims
Indy Semis
Indy Finals

Big markets that will have the best chance at housing all the corps...more exposure in bigger stadiums. Targeted advertising in those markets on TV/Radio. 

Yes...I know this is "not the way it's always been"...but could it be this way? 

where is a dome in Pittsburgh?

this schedule then elimates a huge chunk of the northeast. 

7 hours ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Just to get the blaspheme overwith and out in the open...how far is it from Allentown to Pittsburgh?

5+ hours. NYC/North Jersey 7+ hours

Would you pay a higher price to KNOW there was going to be a show? Not being confrontational...asking in earnest. I bought 4 tickets for Atlanta this year, and thank God a miracle guided that show between massive thunderstorms and they got it in...otherwise...I'm out $350. 

No. Allentown is perfect. And Pittsburgh has no domed stadium unless you plan to cram them in the arena

What's the closest "large" metro DMA to Allentown? Philly?

or NYC. no domes, and much more expensive for fans AND DCI.