The Academy 2023

From the outside looking in, 2022 was not the competitive or organizational success one might have hoped or even expected from this corps. Covid/sickness and meal issues seemed to plague the corps for parts of the season, leading to a flurry of social media posts from members heading into finals. Some staff have already indicated they are leaving, but so far the biggest announcement is that corps director Mark Richardson is stepping into a strictly executive director role, and is looking for a new corps director to manage the day to day:

https://www.arizonaacademy.org/now-hiring-corps-director/

I've always been impressed with The Academy and it's methodical rise to where it is today. Hoping for the best for all and a smoother 2023 ahead!

• Thanks 2

LET'S GO ACADEMY💜🖤💜🖤

I loved their show this year and felt so bad for them. They're gonna do great next year!

• Like 2

Academy is developing an identity with quirky, yet, extremely wholesome shows. Competitively, they have done so-so with that identity and have had no problems fielding a huge corps. However, when you have a corps outside of the Top 12, that's really young; any issues that arise are going to be the foundation for bigger issues...members bickering and dividing instead of rallying together, food and meal issues causing strife amongst the members, staff grumblings, etc. Everything gets magnified and compounded when a corps is young and things aren't going as desired/expected. There are a lot of things that are going to have to be addressed if Academy is even going to hope to compete for a 13th, 14th, or 15th place spot, again. As of current, Top 12 is the least of their issues.  

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely loved this show and really happy to see the Academy back to the fun, whimsical shows and cannot wait to see what they do in 2023. 

• 10 months later...

Bump.

Just caught the Rose Bowl high cam recipe and yup, this show is on my radar now. Clean, beautiful colors and cohesive design. Just needs cleaning, which they have plenty of time for. Good work, and wishing that my fellow alum has helped turn the corner for this corps, prioritizing member wellness and treatment above all else.

caught the academy at dci west last sunday

every show that night was kick ### but the academy show was absolutely stunning

the music slid into my ears like the most beautiful symphony

everything was excellent, choreography, costumes, execution, etc.

we walked away completed wowed

Academy's brass sounds really good.  I am not a fan of their drill / design this year.  That may hold them out of making finals.

• 2 weeks later...

academy down 1.05 points tonight. 78.55 at mckinney show, 77.5 at monroe show. very sad to see as a fan of academy. hoping they can pull together and really kick into high gear for the remainder of the season. 

Edited by Ashontheinternet
typo