2024 Cadets Alumni Corps

My observations, and they are more observations but I think they’re on target:

The first alumni corps I saw started in the late 80’s/early 90’s. They were primarily junior corps of the 50’s and 60’s. Most members were empty nesters, but not retired. They got together for social purposes and to make music. You could see they loved being together and how drum corps was a key event in their lives. Some held on, most notably Crusaders Sr. and Blessed Sacrament. I think for some of these groups things changed when many retired and moved away. As some groups began to add members who did not march with the original group, that changed the dynamics. For some it was fun while it lasted. 

Senior corps started alumni groups as well. For some of these groups, getting together and making music was fine. I found with some of these groups they did a great job keeping the individuality of the corps alive. Caballeros come to mind in this regard. 

Alumni groups of the DCI era are similar in that they enjoy making music and reliving the days they marched, but they have a different feel. Some are as Jeff mentions, a one and done deal, 1994’s 27th Lancers “Once More in 94” may be a notable example. Bridgemen and North Star have tried to be more permanent with North Star still in existence. Troopers are trying to have an alumni corps that is more than a one and done. Some have given us great memories such as Kingsmen, SCV, and most recently Bluecoats.

I think getting an alumni corps for a special event is doable, but I’m not sure most would have a permanent membership. For one thing, corps are no longer local and alums are not local. You no longer march multiple years with the same corps. In some cases alums marched in two or three different corps, so the reunion aspect is different. Still, there is an audience for alumni corps. I know at the alumni concert in Plymouth, MA each year, the number of corps performing has decreased and it has gone from sold out standing room only to seats still available at the door, but it’s not going away anytime soon, and after Labor Day there will be details about the concert (it is already listed as an event). The crowd will be enthusiastic and the corps will still give it all they’ve got.

I'm having visions of a 400 member prayer block coming down the 50.

Drill written in 3 variations based on what can be done.

A celebration of all 3 - 3petes in Cadets History - 1948. 1949 , 1950 - 1960, 1961, 1962 - 1983, 1984, 1985

I better stop .. I might start giving people ideas ......

5 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

thats your perogative. but not all Cadets since 34 did run and gun. so at the risk of excluding a lot of people, i'm sure there won't be any zpulls at 180 bpm

Duh. I was being facetious. Learn not to take life so seriously. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Tim K said:

My observations, and they are more observations but I think they’re on target:

The first alumni corps I saw started in the late 80’s/early 90’s. They were primarily junior corps of the 50’s and 60’s. Most members were empty nesters, but not retired. They got together for social purposes and to make music. You could see they loved being together and how drum corps was a key event in their lives. Some held on, most notably Crusaders Sr. and Blessed Sacrament. I think for some of these groups things changed when many retired and moved away. As some groups began to add members who did not march with the original group, that changed the dynamics. For some it was fun while it lasted. 

Senior corps started alumni groups as well. For some of these groups, getting together and making music was fine. I found with some of these groups they did a great job keeping the individuality of the corps alive. Caballeros come to mind in this regard. 

Alumni groups of the DCI era are similar in that they enjoy making music and reliving the days they marched, but they have a different feel. Some are as Jeff mentions, a one and done deal, 1994’s 27th Lancers “Once More in 94” may be a notable example. Bridgemen and North Star have tried to be more permanent with North Star still in existence. Troopers are trying to have an alumni corps that is more than a one and done. Some have given us great memories such as Kingsmen, SCV, and most recently Bluecoats.

I think getting an alumni corps for a special event is doable, but I’m not sure most would have a permanent membership. For one thing, corps are no longer local and alums are not local. You no longer march multiple years with the same corps. In some cases alums marched in two or three different corps, so the reunion aspect is different. Still, there is an audience for alumni corps. I know at the alumni concert in Plymouth, MA each year, the number of corps performing has decreased and it has gone from sold out standing room only to seats still available at the door, but it’s not going away anytime soon, and after Labor Day there will be details about the concert (it is already listed as an event). The crowd will be enthusiastic and the corps will still give it all they’ve got.

Serenade in Brass lasted from 1976 to 2011, and by the early 90's, the majority of the corps performing were alumni groups. In fact i don't remember a competitive corps the last 5 years of it's existence. without competitive corps, and the age of the audience getting older, by the end, even the last year the Forum building had empties. lots of them 2008-2010, which is why the decision was made to end the show. with Hanover picking up afterwards, yeah they fill a high school auditorium, but not the size of the Forum Building

2 hours ago, 2000Cadet said:

Duh. I was being facetious. Learn not to take life so seriously. 

sorry nothing in the post indicated facetiousness 

On 8/29/2022 at 8:15 PM, Tony L. said:

OK, I do not have any affiliation with the Cadets, BUT, I think it would be a fantastic event if the Cadets put together an alumni corps for its 90th Aniversary.  

After seeing the Bluecoats Alumni Corps the bar has been raised for sure.  But seeing a similar presentation (or even any performance) would be amazing.  

Does anyone know if there is even any thought about such a thing?  I mean you only turn 90 once!  

We really did light a fire under the DCI alumni corps movement. 👍

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

well....most DCI alumni corps are more of a project...a one off. here in the East, the alumni movement began in the late 80's, and grew to where DCA added an alumni only show to their weekend schedule. but the movement has gotten smaller. an overwhelming majority of the corps dont have active corps to pull from. they stay stuck in 60's 70's design which doesnt appeal to younger folks. alumni sadly get older with health concerns or pass away. At best now that show gets 1000 people and barely breaks even.

and....cost. when you look at dci corps now, membership isnt local. so the cost to participate goes up per member. remember alumni have lives and families. One time....some extra weekends and a week? Sure. Every year? No. Bloo alumni couldn't do what they did this year every year. they'd price people out and turn people off by too much commitment.

And COVID didn't help. Scout House, for example, lost member interest during the pandemic. Not sure we'll see them on the field again.

23 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

i cant imagine that feeling would be the same everywhere.

Bloo Alumni had an honor guard who did stand in the corner the entire show. They did get to present during the Dan Potter intro, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

Serenade in Brass lasted from 1976 to 2011, and by the early 90's, the majority of the corps performing were alumni groups. In fact i don't remember a competitive corps the last 5 years of it's existence. without competitive corps, and the age of the audience getting older, by the end, even the last year the Forum building had empties. lots of them 2008-2010, which is why the decision was made to end the show. with Hanover picking up afterwards, yeah they fill a high school auditorium, but not the size of the Forum Building

The alumni show in Plymouth just prior to Thanksgiving is a labor of love by the show’s organizer who is a Boston Crusaders alum. She’s pivotal to the success of the Thanksgiving  parade as well, and not just due to her connections with drum corps and high school and college bands, but with the organizing of the entire parade and overall week long event. If she stepped away, the parade would continue, and there would be a Saturday night concert, but probably not of drum corps alumni groups.

On 8/30/2022 at 4:18 PM, Jeff Ream said:

so basically hey if you're old, you get to carry a flag and stand in the corner the whole time.

yeah that'll be popular

You could be one of the mannequins in the end zone.

• Haha 2